Journey to the Centre of the Earth


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia » Inner Carniola » Postojna
October 17th 2008
Published: October 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

PEPEPE

Not controlling ourselves
16th September
Our beautiful campsite was closing today so we had to leave. I was having so much fun playing badminton with my Dad and brothers. Stupid campsite! PE today was running around Lake Bled. There were signs everywhere saying we couldn’t either take bikes nor do wheelies when you were biking - we weren’t sure. So we just had to try and control ourselves on our bikes, it was very difficult.
We drove to a place called Postojna which has some caves. We meet some nice Australians at the camp in Bled and they told us of a campsite that was open near the caves so we decided to go. Found the campground in the middle of a forest and it was a bit spooky because there was no one here. Apart from one tent. There are trees everywhere and rocks and very, very empty.
Went back into town to the caves. It was going to cost 74 Euros so there was some debate whether we should go or not. Mum said it was a UNESCO heritage site and that the tour was 1 ½ hours long and involved a train ride. So we decided to go.
The train started
The Centre of the EarthThe Centre of the EarthThe Centre of the Earth

Down 100m in the 21kms of caves
off really quickly. We all looked at Blake to see if it brought back memories of his Thunder Rock Ride in Disneyland. Some of the rocks that you went through you felt like you needed to duck. Then the train stops in the middle of a huge gallery. We all hopped off and followed a path around. These caves were so important that back in 1880s it had electricity before the capital of Slovenia, Ljubljana. We had to cross a bridge that was made by Russian prisoners of war back in 1920. We learnt that why the stalagmites and stalactites are different colours and how they are formed. To grow it takes 10 years to get 1 mm. For spaghetti stalactites it takes 100 years to grow 1mm. The pink ones are from the iron, the gray ones magnesium, and the pure white are just calcium carbonate. We found it hard to believe that the caves were real because it was so strange and weird that it couldn’t be. It felt like we were on a set for Star Wars.
It has started to rain here. It rained all night and is still night. It sounds like someone is throwing
Our GymOur GymOur Gym

This is what we biked around
rocks onto our roof. We have had thunder and lightning to. Mum and Dad made Mason go out in the rain to wash the dishes. He was not happy.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0505s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb