Shipped off to the GULAG!!!!!!!!!!!!


Advertisement
Slovakia's flag
Europe » Slovakia » Bratislava Region » Bratislava
June 30th 2008
Published: July 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Yes it finally happened, we pre-booked our accomodation in Bratislava in university housing that was being rented out for the summer to tourists. We thought it would be an experience and it was really cheap with 7 euros a night getting us our own room.

We arrived at the accomodation and the building was massive, there was probably well over 2000 rooms and the rooms were really nice with new bathrooms and recently remodelled rooms. The builing however was a throwback to soviet times, it was like something out of a movie and we thought it was extremely funny. We were waiting for someone to burst into the room and put us on a train to the Gulag in Siberia for some hard labour.

Bratislava as a city is a really nice place however as far as tourist sights go the city can be seen in 2 days, however wandering around the old town is a really great experience and is like stepping back in time. Just doing this alone can occupy more than a few hours. The main tourist site in the city is Bratislava castle which is perched on a hill above the old town. The castle was closed when we visited but it is a huge place and has great views over the old town. Another sight that has to be seen to be believed is called the new bridge. It was a modernist masterpiece back in the Soviet era and looks like a giant UFO has crach landed on top of bridge in the middle of the city.

Strangely enough in the city of Bratislava the most photographed site is a statue of a guy coming out of a manhole. Around the city there a several statues with all different characters such a photographer and a frenchman.




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

A long way from home..A long way from home..
A long way from home..

We found this on the street. We discovered that the South Pole is closer to Bratislava than Sydney
Free Orchestra and OperaFree Orchestra and Opera
Free Orchestra and Opera

A free performance by the Slovakian Symphony Orchestra with guest Opera singers in the main square of Bratislava. A great night out
Our accommodationOur accommodation
Our accommodation

Sorry about the photo quality but we were worried about been shipped off


8th July 2008

Oh my God!!!!!
Oh my God!!!! We have the same “A fake man in a fake hole” in Omsk, Russia. It’s one of the biggest cities in Siberia! I almost forgot about this old fellow! :))) Thanks for a reminder!

Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 65; dbt: 0.1043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb