I will Always love you Bratislava


Advertisement
Slovakia's flag
Europe » Slovakia » Bratislava Region » Bratislava
June 20th 2008
Published: June 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The CastleThe CastleThe Castle

yes we walked to the top of that also,,,
We arrived in Bratislava late enough from Vienna. The train station was a lot smaller then the others we had been to. The only perceptions I had of the place, were the ever so dark and gloomy ones, I got from watching the film "Hostel"! In the film the director Tarrentino perceives the place to be a dangerous city in which the locals kill off any tourists one by one. Within a few hours though of being here we realised the city was far from anything like this. We stayed in the "Patio Hostel", fairly central and even though it was quite possibly the slowest check in I've ever bee through, I had no major complaints. OH WAIT except for being awoken on the last day by about twenty builders outside our window. They were hammering away and using some form of LOUD SAW at seven in the morning..OKAY, what Irish builder do you know that has ever seen what outside his bedroom looks like at around 6am in the morning. Few in my opinion.

On the second day we decided we deserved a day just to chillax out in the sun. within moments of arriving here we bumped into the same Yorkshire lad that had stayed in the same hostel as us in Krakow. he recommended a beautiful lake only a few minutes away by tram. this sounded perfect for our day of well deserved rest... When we got there I was speechless. Who would of thought you'd find something as beautiful as this in the middle of a City? We lay there for a few hours enjoying the peace and quiet and soaking up the sun.

I got to know the Irish Lad from Donegal, sleeping on the bunk bed below me earlier that day! When we arrived back that evening we went with Miles to watch the Portugal/Germany game in this well tucked away pub he'd found the day before. Strange atmosphere and slow service but I must say I really have warmed to the people here. In restaurants the waiters look straight into you're eyes and their smiles are so sincere. The people here seem helpful, happy and welcoming.

With the exception of Ghent this has probably been on of the least touristy spots we've visited and I Liked that....We seemed to blend a lot easier in with the locals and I think that's partly why we fell for the City so quickly. We almost felt at home. The next day we did a lot of sight seeing with Miles. The Castle, old square, university, Palace, some statues and monuments...The list is endless... We took some of the less take alley's and roads around this place, mainly because of Miles' influence..In his very own words he told me...

"Take the Road less Traveled, Your a Backpacker Now Brigid...."



The city is so easy to get around and everything is really close together which made it a lot easier for us...I enjoyed the day listening to Miles' traveling stories from the past months he's spent away! We finished the day perfectly. we went to the top of this massive tower nicknamed I think the UFO??Amazing views from here. An area that contains so much nature at such close proximity to the city. You don't have to go far at all to see the Slovakian countryside.

An altogether glorious City and the first City I simply had NO COMPLAINTS what so ever about...except...maybe have a few postboxes nearby?...no point in selling postcards at every tourist stall if ya can't send them anywhere now is there??ha ha...

In Bratislava I think both
Old Square..Old Square..Old Square..

Stalls are everywhere shaped into a square also...
myself and James have finally found our way with this traveling thing..Fingers crossed it stays like that..😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

PostBOX ANYONE?PostBOX ANYONE?
PostBOX ANYONE?

Miles and Myself make our way in and out of every shop, office, building in search of a post office..who would ever of thought it'd be so dam hard???ha ha
UFOUFO
UFO

LOok lads..a UFO..i think we should make our way to the top of that and look down over Bratislava from there...So..we DID..:) ha ha,,
BEWAREBEWARE
BEWARE

If ever ya find your way to this lil trail..and fancy heading up to the top to visit the Castle..just BEWARE,,,it's a long and very very TOUGH walk to the top...I'm surprised i ever made it there alive to be honest..
FascinatingFascinating
Fascinating

She was a hungarian princess that had it all..then..gave it all up to serve her life to the poor...so of course..they made her a saint...St. Elizabeth i Think it was..
The bridges here..The bridges here..
The bridges here..

View from the UFO
The roads..The roads..
The roads..

From the same view...
the countrysidethe countryside
the countryside

from the same view up there..
Bratislava..the CityBratislava..the City
Bratislava..the City

Same view again..yes...:)


28th June 2008

Hi
i must say Bratilslava is great city and friends of me love that city so much.hallo from London
4th July 2008

Hello...
Well hello there from Croatia.....Yes it has been one of my fave destinations so far...that i can confirm,,,
6th August 2008

I live in Bratislava - it's just as you say, and I'm glad you liked it so much. We recently visited Dublin and fell in love with it there - horrible weather but a beautiful city and the friendliest people.

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0633s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb