Cycling the Danube, Bratislava to Budapest


Advertisement
Slovakia's flag
Europe » Slovakia » Bratislava Region » Bratislava » Old Town
September 4th 2018
Published: September 5th 2018
Edit Blog Post

We started our journey, taking the bus from Belfast to Dublin, bikes all packed up and sealed in large plastic covers. Ryanair charged €60 each for return flights, €120 for each return for our bikes! It would have been cheaper to book a seat for the bikes. On a long trip we knew we'd be happier with our own, and to hire on arrival would have cost around €450. We took the 9.10 flight to Bratislava, Monday 3rd Sept. €70 each return. The plan is to spend two days here, then get on the road to Budapest. Good to have own bikes even though there was 1 broken spoke in transit. We’ll get it fixed tomorrow. Bratislava is a fascinating city, dominated by a fortress, fine architecture, lots of old trams, great local restaurants and lots of good quality real ales. Cyclist’s paradise! We had booked 2 nights in the Old City Hotel, in the old town and very central to all the sights and close to the Danube. Our room was spacious and clean. The only disadvantage is the serious number of stairs and no lift!!
We found a great pub the Slovak Pub on Obchodna, great beer and local food. Lots of dumplings! The Cork Wine bar, was another great find, close to our hotel and had some good wine and cheese there before heading back for an early night. Tomorrow we plan to explore the city after locating a bike repair shop.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb