Sunny Serbia


Advertisement
Europe » Serbia
April 19th 2010
Published: April 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hi All,
Well, here we are in sunny downtown Serbia. Yesterday we went for a long walk through the centre of Belgrade from the city square to the Kalamegdon fort the place is HUGE - first built by the Romans, then added on to by the Ottomans and later the Austo-Hungarians. It looks out over the confluence of the Danube and Sava rivers. The old city is really lovely - lots of gardens and parks, we were entertained by a group of young people playing classical music - just lovely! The Serbian Marathon was on yesterday - lots of hot Serbian blokes, Beansie, thought of you immediatly - the city was like an ant's nest stirred with a stick. There were people, dogs, kids, bicycles everywhere competing with the runners - if this had been Melbourne, the whole place would have been in lockdown, but fortunately the Serbs don't care, or chose to ignore any official attempt to stop them enjoying their city on a sunny day.

Quite overcast today - we're off to the Nikola Tesslar museum they even have his ashes - Steve recons that he was incinerated in a failed experiment - should be interesting!

Boat cruise tomorrow and as far as we are aware, we will be flying out to London on Thursday . We have made backup plans if we are stuck here longer - have let all the B^B's know we can't get there - if the worst comes to the worst we will cancell everything and spend a week in Cornwall.

The family has been wonderful - Tetta Rada has looked after us like her own children, we don't know how we will repay her for her kindness. Her two girls Marina and Emina have gone out of their way to help us - Marina has rescued Steve with the language several times and Emina drove us around the city on Sunday and then out to a huge Serbian feast at one of Steve's cousins in the afternoon. Steve says that we will be the only travellers who will come home weighing more than when we went! We are taking our niece Dragana out to dinner tonight - she has been so wonderful to us. She drove us to the family village and down to see the boy's sister, Jela, and has put us up and fed us - how do you repay the love and kindness. Everyone has been so generous, so loving, it is going to be hard to leave.

Time to go now - will give an update tomorrow. Sorry there are no photos, I can't find the USB on the computer - will post as soon as we can. Love and blessings to you all......

Dee and Steve

Advertisement



Tot: 0.183s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 5; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0571s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb