The First


Advertisement
Europe » Serbia » West » Belgrade
July 31st 2014
Published: July 31st 2014
Edit Blog Post

One down, one to go. Today's disputation was on the Office of the High Representative and was very well performed and received. The long and short of it is: there's no right answer (which is of course why we hold these debates; there'd be no point if there was a right answer). The team in support of removing OHR won out, but it could have gone either way. My team, for its own part, has been preparing for the debate tomorrow: writing questions, examining our own prepared points (which we did before knowing we'd be judges), and considering possible arguments we may have missed. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your point of view -- we've had a lot of free time because of it), there's only so much we can do to prepare; much of it has to be on the fly.

After this morning's disputation, the group headed over to the Museum of Yugoslav History. Our visit was brief, but interesting. The exhibits were sparse, and much of it was more on Josip Broz Tito -- who pulled and held Yugoslavia together -- and on the founding Non-Aligned Movement -- a group of countries who side with no major power Bloc. Tito and his wife were also buried there, as the museum is near the site of his personal garden. There was also an exhibit of many of the gifts Tito received throughout his life, which was shockingly large.



Upon returning from the museum, we had a bit of a relaxation period. Several people, including my roommate, took naps (he was up until2:00amand got up againat 7:30am

to work). Personally, I finished my book, cleaned a bit, and sent out postcards (maybe this round will work better), before heading to Zavicaj, my favorite local ethnic restaurant, for dinner. Dinner was followed by more preparation for tomorrow, as we wind down the end of the dialogue. It certainly is coming up fast...


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.23s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0642s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb