Yugoslavia... or so it was


Advertisement
Europe » Serbia » West » Belgrade
February 1st 2009
Published: February 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well after an interesting train ride here we are in Serbia, part of teh former Yugoslavia.

Got to the train station in Budapest last night with no troubles, too early if anything. Finally our train came to board, and we had no idea where we were going. there were 4 cars, two with beds and two with seats, one each of first and second class. so we knew we didnt'have a bed but didnt'know which class. so we asked two employees who were less than helpful so we just got in first and hoped for the best. and it worked out ok, got a cabin with 6 seats to uorselves.

sleeping was not much of an option. the train was noisy, smelly, and we had our tickets checked twice, and our passports twice. finally fell asleep for a little bit around 3, off and on, until just bvefore 6 when we arrived. we hiked a half hour through unknown streets in teh sunrise searching for our hostel. we had a map which had the streets named in our alphabet, but of coruse they're all labelled in cyrillic, which is so not the same! but we managed pretty well and when we got there the guy at the hostel gave us a room right away and we got a nap in which was GREAT.

up around 12, moved to another buildilng the hostel owns to the room we actually booked, and tehn off around town for some sightseeing!

the city is situated where the sava river empties into the danube and on the hill over this is a huge old fortress. walked around there for a nice while, good views, lots of old tanks, cannons, guns, etc on display. lots of people around to watch. there are also lots of pedestrian streets where cars aren't allowed, and there are lots of shopping stalls, stores, and people around there too. so we did some walking, went to see the parliament buildilngs, and bought some disgusting pastries filled with meat, mushrooms and an unidentifiable white substance in tehm. jeff managed to eat most of his but i picked off some pastry and called it lunch.

supper was another thing. a nice restaurant, baked beans for an appetizer, and i had sausages and potatoes, and jeff had pork stuffed with cheese and potatoes. very good indeed.

now we're back at the hostel which is a little grungier than the last one, i don't think jeff is too impressed, but i've been in worse. you get what you pay for i guess!! haha theres a few people staying here, we've been chatting, watching handball on tv.
oh yes and i bought a phone card to try to call my friend Jelena who was in Africa with me. So i buy it, put it in teh phone, it doesn't work, and it won't come out!! i was so rotted, had a little tantrum and then left to buy another one. what a waste of 5 bucks! haha could be worse i spose, could've been my bank card stuck in a machine! anyways got the new card to work well and thats that.

goign to head to teh bus station tomorrow to seea bout getting some tickets to go to novi sad (where Jelena lives) for a visit on Tuesday, and then hopefully Wednesday arrange to get down to the Montenegro coast.

Heard there was snow in St. John's the weekend. SUCKERS! Cold here, around zero, but no snow at all, and nothing falling from teh sky... knock on wood....

hope all is well, thanks for the comments, glad to see people are reading!

until next time

Advertisement



1st February 2009

I bet Jeff will be glad to be back to civilization! Sounds like a good place to be on a diet!
1st February 2009

we had a lot of snow here today.not nice to go out. take care and look after each other.

Tot: 0.38s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0592s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb