Folk Songs, Jew Harpists and a visit to the North once more


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Siberia » Lake Baikal
August 9th 2012
Published: December 27th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The guides aren't drunk, the sun is out, there's hardly a breeze in the air and were all sitting in a Russian minivan.

We're traveling to the north part of the island, having managed to successfully secure some sober tour guides.

The cape itself is ominous and surrounded by white cliffs.

It is due to these cliffs that the cape received its ominous name as Khoboy means white fang in Buryat. The cliffs act like a fortress to the island and provide the best views of the Maloe and Bolshoi sea.

On the way to the Northern part of the islands we stop at the three brothers rocks. The three brothers are all sons of Father Baikal and were turned into beautiful stones for disobeying their father.


At the northern part of the island, Angelique meets some Jew harpists who pass on their most prized possession, a Jew harp for Ange forever more.



Our afternoon stop has half of our group wanting something a bit more extreme so they decide to swim in Lake Baikal.

The water looks delicious however I know the cruel coldness that will surely follow should I decide to bite the bullet and jump in. However peer pressure is stronger and pretty soon I'm swimming in the cool waters of Lake Baikal.

The last stop is the love rock where your meant to be granted good fortune in your love life, after visiting this rock.

My favorite part of the day is the evening performance of Russian and other folk songs .

Boris, a brilliant man, plays the accordion and speaks about 5 languages.

Two women who also work at Niketa's sing old Russian folks songs, whilst Boris plays accordion. In between Boris plays a Tajikistani folk song and a solo in accordion.

An awesome evening.



Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.36s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 17; qc: 77; dbt: 0.1385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb