Day 16: Irkutsk, Siberia & Back on the Train


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Siberia » Lake Baikal
September 28th 2008
Published: October 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 16: Lake BaikalDay 16: Lake BaikalDay 16: Lake Baikal

The famous smoked Omal fish
Ohhh sooo tired. I am sure if we had the choice - Tim and I would have spent the day in bed. But as always - check out time is in 15 minutes and today is probably the only chance we'll ever have to see the world's largest lake - Lake Baikal.

We made it to the drab and dingy bus station, and knowing full well that we had already missed the 8am and 9am bus, we attempted a cab ride, which some out of date blogs told us would only cost $15-$25. Inflation hits this place hard - as the best we got was 1100 R - ONE WAY (about $50.00) - so "NYET" to that.

Armed with the town LYSTVYANKA written in Cyrillic in a scrap of paper, I braved the ticket office, and was saved by this wonderful old Siberian woman and husband, who spoke no English - but saw where we needed to go and dragged us to one of the mini-buses that also operate around this country. 100 Rs later and we were hurtling towards the lake at 140kmh.


Arrived 40 mins later, and like some kind of weird beach side town,
Day 16: Lake Baikal Day 16: Lake Baikal Day 16: Lake Baikal

Chloe eating the omal.
we embarked to a mix of crappy souvenir stalls, beautiful wooden houses and a massive lake. Unfortunately it wasn't beach weather, but we braved the cold and bought some warm smoked OMAL fish (from the lake) and ate it on the beach.

Found another mini-bus home but it broke down somewhere on the edge of Irkutsk and we then struggled to figure out how on earth we would get back to our hotel. I think we over paid a taxi driver for the privilege of driving us back.

Killed 30 minutes going to the Irkutsk Art Gallery (worst art gallery in the world - more like a school hall than a major gallery), though the one section on Asian and Mongolian art was worth the whole visit.

Arrive at the train station later that night - and are on TRAIN HEAVEN. Not only have we scored a more modern train, we seem to have our own cabin too. Bring on the ride to Mongolia!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Day 16: Lake BaikalDay 16: Lake Baikal
Day 16: Lake Baikal

The lake (oh - and it was about 2 degrees Celsius today)
Day 16: Lake BaikalDay 16: Lake Baikal
Day 16: Lake Baikal

Picnic booths on the lake (which cost 50 R to sit in)
Day 16: Lake BaikalDay 16: Lake Baikal
Day 16: Lake Baikal

View of some of the houses around the town of Listvyanka where Lake Baikal is.
Day 16: Lake BaikalDay 16: Lake Baikal
Day 16: Lake Baikal

New hotel being build
Day 16: Lake BaikalDay 16: Lake Baikal
Day 16: Lake Baikal

Trendy hotel that has been built
Day 16: IrkutskDay 16: Irkutsk
Day 16: Irkutsk

Outside the art gallery. This was actually one of the few pictures worth remembering
Day 16: IrkutskDay 16: Irkutsk
Day 16: Irkutsk

This is the town central park where everyone hangs out.
Day 16: IrkutskDay 16: Irkutsk
Day 16: Irkutsk

Our wonderful upper class hotel.
Day 16: IrkutskDay 16: Irkutsk
Day 16: Irkutsk

Hanging out like the locals on the park bench.
Day 16: IrkutskDay 16: Irkutsk
Day 16: Irkutsk

Every good Soviet town has a Karl Marx St.
Day 16: TrainDay 16: Train
Day 16: Train

Uber modern train complete with TV (didn't work)
Day 16: TrainDay 16: Train
Day 16: Train

Irkutsk Train Station
Day 16: TrainDay 16: Train
Day 16: Train

Tim in our newly modern train. This is the life.


Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb