Camel Toes and more camaflage


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Siberia » Irkutsk
July 27th 2008
Published: July 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

To start this one off - I think I should explain some of the titles! The fashions in Russia can really only be described as interesting!! To say the very least! Trousers are worn high and tight - white if at all possible. Any man who is anybody carries a manbag - most of which look a lot like a mini brief case! Very suave! Camo gear is very in as well - only for the men though!

Since my last entry I have been back on the train, rained on, drunk and propositioned - but not necessarily in that order!!

We jumped on the train at 11.52 Moscow time. Laura and I were in a room with two russian ladies - Elena and another older lady whose name I don't remember but she was from Kyrgystan. Neither spoke english but we managed to communicate a little. We checked out the restaurant car and met a Korean Law Professor who was lovely - very smiley and seemed to have lived in loads of places. There were a couple of very drunk russians who had polished off a very large bottle of Vodka between them. They were a bit off their heads for us to deal with so we headed back to our car for a bit of a picnic and a few quiet beers. We stopped at a place called Ilanskaya for about 20 minutes - which was quite interesting - didn't really have a platform so much as a mound of dirt.

I slept ok that night - I woke up to Elena taking photos of us on her mobile phone - which was weird to say the least. She did give me her email address in case I wanted to write. We got off the train in Irkutsk to meet up with Diesel who had arrived a few hours ahead of us. We went out to a village called Listvyanka to see Lake Baikal - it really is a massive lake. We stayed in a very basic wooden hut - which was a very surreal experience. We headed into the village to check things out - tried a few local dishes and headed to a point to watch the sunset. We met a russian guy who did his best to convince the boys that they should have a swim in the lake. The woman were told to stay where we were and the boys stripped down to their jocks and headed in for a quick dip. The boys were brough some vodka to warm them up followed by a local smoked fish called OMUL. We were then invited to join their group and share in the vodka and omul. This was the beginning of the end! The group were in the "emergicom" which seemed the equivalent to our ambulance/emergency services. One or two of them spoke english and acted as interpreters. There were many shots poured and many photos taken. There was much laughter and it was a really fun night. As we said good by to them one of the interpreters came over and asked me on behalf of one of the guys if I was interested in him. I politely declined and they were on their way.

As we headed home we joined another group for a couple of shots and then headed home - by this time it was raining. I think after so many straight shots of vodka my memory is somewhat hazy.

We woke up the next day to persistent rain that really didn't look like clearing. We headed into town for food and water - but much of the day was spent in our little wooden hut reading and sleeping. Quite chilled and relaxing and a beautiful spot to be doing it.

We woke this morning to yet more run. Had a slow start and then headed back to Irkutsk and checked into the hostel. We will head out for food and maybe a few beers on our last night in Russia.

We head off tomorrow on the train to Ulan Bataar - we have met some people at the hostel who have told us a bit about it and it sounds like it is going to be a great 10 days - I can't wait!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb