Siberia's Back Door


Advertisement
Europe » Russia » Siberia » Altai Republic
July 6th 2012
Published: July 6th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Took an unbelievable journey through the remotest part of the world I've ever been in. The tiring, back breaking last few days went something like this: June 29: overnight train ride from Krasnoyarsk to Abakan, 9 hours June 30: share taxi from Abakan train station to Kyzyl, 5½ hours, spent one night in Kyzyl July 1: UAZ (burly Russian 4x4 van) to Mugur-Aksy, 10 hour trip after spending 3 hours... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Othe Border Between Tuva and AltaiOthe Border Between Tuva and Altai
Othe Border Between Tuva and Altai

Probably 10:00 or 11:00 pm and still plenty of light.
WWII MemorialWWII Memorial
WWII Memorial

Gorno-Altaisk
WWII MemorialWWII Memorial
WWII Memorial

Gorno-Altaisk
WWII MemorialWWII Memorial
WWII Memorial

Gorno-Altaisk



6th July 2012

The sound of silence
Wow. Looks like stuff I've seen in Natl Geo films or read about in books. What a different feeling it must be to be so far out there. Cool stuff.
7th July 2012

shouldvebeenthere,shouldvedonethat
Oh, it brings it all back to me. I did try - in the opposite direction, in 1998. However, applying for the border area access pass meant contacting the border troops in Kosh Agach, who said they wouldn't issue it as there was 4m deep snow on the passes, and even their troops weren't patrolling. They kindly gave me use of their showers as the 2-room 'hotel' had no running water or indoor facilities. So I hitched the long way round via Khakassia and took the back, unpaved route into Tyva. Got arrested at the inter-republic border post as the 2 young soldiers had never met a foreigner, let alone seen a business visa. No telephone or radio, or common language, but after waiting a day for something to happen, using my bilingual dictionary I wrote an officious letter of complaint to Yeltsin, and showed it to them. That got me a lift on the next truck to the military post in Ak Devorak, and after telephonic communication with Kyzyl, a charming lady border guard blushingly apologised! She took me to a free bus to Kyzyl which I shared with that year's local group of very drunk and tearful draftees - following plentiful kisses and waving goodbye to family and girlfriends. I then accidentally spent the next 2 years living there, working at the uni teaching English. Then I did the same in Kalmykia - another story.
8th July 2012

Much easier these days especially in summer. Quite a trip...
7th July 2012

Siberia/Altai-Republic
Hi Jon, Did the people you met in this area seem happy, liked where they lived? It looks visually stunning, but also so barren. I'd love to visit the area as a tourist, but can't really picture what it's like to actually live there. You sure are taking some crazy rides to get around!
8th July 2012

Hi Heidi, Interesting question and I wondered the same thing especially after the -60C comment. It was like something you'd see on the Discovery Channel.
9th July 2012

Altay
Not so bad. My brother moved from Moscow to Barnaul 2 years ago. He is happy at the Altai. Jon! Thank you for the photos!
10th July 2012

More photos of minutia
The stories of the endurance travel are very interesting but Christopher and I agree that we want to see additional photo documentation of your daily experience: Street scenes, Grocery stores, meals, accmmodations, etc. in addition to the vistas and monuments. Stay safe!
11th July 2012

More minutia
Sure, no prob. More pics of the day to day to follow...
14th July 2012

Polska Slovakia Dobrzse
siberia mongolia riGht where i want to be.. you're stillllll going... wowee.. he who never tires of the backpack.. i've recently begun climbing & hiking again & just came back from 2 weeks on rainier & in wenachtchee.. god we live in a beautiful state!! travel safely.
15th July 2012

Hey Mimi! Oh, I'm tired, exhausted actually. Probably getting too old for this but I still don't plan on coming back anytime soon. Next week down to the Black Sea then Armenia, Georgia, and Turkey for 5 or 6 weeks.
1st August 2012

Thanks !
Thank you Jon for all that precise as precious information ! We're getting to Krasnoyarsk in 15 days now and that's exactly the route we'd like to do.
2nd August 2012

Somewhere in Kyzyl is a travel agent who can supposedly arrange horses for the trip which sounded pretty cool. All that time in a couple of UAZs was a bit rough... The agency is mentioned in LP but it was closed over the weekend when I was there and I didn't want to hang around Kyzyl. Good luck. Jon
3rd August 2012

Great idea, thanks again ! Besides, in spit of your review we're going to stay some days in Kyzyl to attend the Naadym festival. So we will most probably have time for that horse ride.
4th August 2012

Stay cool in Kyzyl! Don't miss the apple cider at Vorstog cafe.

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0508s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb