Uglich


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Northwest
September 25th 2010
Published: October 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Mother Volga statueMother Volga statueMother Volga statue

reminds me of Waving Girl in Savannah, GA
Before we get to our last stop before Moscow, couple of other points. There did not used to be a continuous waterway from St. Petersburg to Moscow. The Moscow Canal was built in 1825 to link Moscow to the Volga River. This canal suffered neglect after railroads took over raw material transportation. In the 1930's, Joseph Stalin came up with the "Big Volga" plan to dam the Volga for a reservoir and build another canal to a further point in the Volga. The construction was carried out by GULAG prisoners at total disregard for their lives as they dug it out shovelful by shovelful. The resulting hydro-plants and locks allow Moscow to have a constant water and electric supply and remain connected to Russia's 5 major seas but at the cost of 700 villages and 4000 acres of fertile land that were flooded by the reservoir, along with the lives of prisoners.

At the end of this reservoir, there is a statue called Mother Volga which was erected in honor of those who built this reservoir.

Now to Uglich. Founded in 937, the town is first mentioned in written works in 1148. In 1591, Ivan the Terrible's youngest son, Dmitry, and only living heir, was murdered when he was only 7 years old. This devastated the country because the man chosen to rule was not a blood relation to the royal family and he was not good to the people. By the end of the 17th century Uglich had become a place of religious pilgrimage so the slain Tsarevich was canonized. The Church of St. Dmitry on the Blood was built.

Boring history (not for me, for you) aside, the main discussion point of the day was the "ladies of the evening" strolling around the church complex. When you see their picture you'll understand. Mother and daughter team apparently. The police can do nothing and most people just ignore them, but for some reason Ernest seemed to be quite interested in them.....hhmmmm....



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

UglichUglich
Uglich

Church of St. Dmitry on the Blood
Church of St. Dmitry on the BloodChurch of St. Dmitry on the Blood
Church of St. Dmitry on the Blood

bell was defaced when Dmitry was killed and sent to Siberia; returned in 1800's
Church of St. Dmitry on the BloodChurch of St. Dmitry on the Blood
Church of St. Dmitry on the Blood

coffin that carried bones of Dmitry from Moscow and his reliquary


4th October 2010

Those are some of the most beautiful pictures I have seen. Danielle would love some of them. Know you are having fun.
18th January 2011

Nice pics. I live in Moscow and have wanted to visit Uglich for some time. Your blog has made that desire even stronger!

Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 13; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0775s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb