Mini holiday on Romania's National Day


Advertisement
Romania's flag
Europe » Romania » Transilvania » Mures » Sighisoara
December 4th 2008
Published: December 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Happy birthday Romania!Happy birthday Romania!Happy birthday Romania!

Beautiful sunny day - downtown Sighisoara
It's finally that time of the year... 😊 = 😊
Yeah, yeah, I know not everybody gets into the Christmas & New Year spirit! So? What do I know?

1st of December it's always a great day for 2 reasons:
- begining of winter holidays (for those who love snow, the sledges, traffic jams and so on)
- and due to the fact that on 1st December we celebrate Romania's National Day (actually this year we are celebrating 90 years since the great union in Alba Iulia) ... as you guessed that means free day/no work and fortunately this year 1st of December was in a Monday => 3 days off work.

During this weekend we also had elections (on Sunday - 30 November) and in my oppinion who ever thought of setting the election day then either he/she hadnt checked the calender or didnt want too many people to vote.

Friday night I guess half of Romania was heading for the mountain areas as the snow was over 30 cm height and in Bucharest the weather forecast guy was announcing rain.

For some of us Saturday early in the morning seemed a better option to depart
Oh Christmas tree...Oh Christmas tree...Oh Christmas tree...

I bet there was something for me too
toward our final destination: Sighisoara. Although I've been there just last year you'll never get tired of this fortress and I also wanted to see the town covered in snow.
The highway was pretty busy but that offered us more time to enjoy the mountains while it was snowing. After Brasov, the road was so though that we felt like we were the only ones travelling on weekend.

We shared our time between Sighisoara and Tg Mures and of course as usually 3 days weren't enough. The roads were very good and the view just awsome, my regret is that we havent stopped to take everywhere I would have wanted but I know it wasnt easy for the guys to drive all the time.

Tg Mures was suprisingly beautiful like I dindt expect, had a great Mall and much cleaner than Bucharest.

As we suspected, Monday it was a real adventure to go home as the National roads were pretty busy and the police decided to divert us to a secondary road we knew nothing about.
First we enjoyed the spectacular landscape but at night the fog was all around and for hours we had no clue were we were heading. Driving with 30 km / hour was a nightmare and when we finally entered the National road we hit traffic jam.

Hopefully we'll have a lot of snow on Christmas and lots of joy!

Have fun all till next time!




Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Scary !!!!!!!!!!Scary !!!!!!!!!!
Scary !!!!!!!!!!

I had no idea what this had to do with Christmas or National Day celebration
Kurtos colacs - Absolutely yammyKurtos colacs - Absolutely yammy
Kurtos colacs - Absolutely yammy

You can have them with cinnamon, coconut or walnut.
Up on the Clock TowerUp on the Clock Tower
Up on the Clock Tower

Next station on the righ: South Pole 14025 km measured on air distance
Lovely white owlLovely white owl
Lovely white owl

Tg Mures Zoo
Rudolph the reindeer...Rudolph the reindeer...
Rudolph the reindeer...

The environment created for the deers is huge and the fence is not high.
Famous bearsFamous bears
Famous bears

Former garbage bears from Sinaia & Brasov, rescued and brought here. The pic isnt too clear but they were huge when they got up into 2 feet
Downtown Tg MuresDowntown Tg Mures
Downtown Tg Mures

Just when we arrived at the fortress my camera batteries died. So this is a phone pic.
Beautiful landscapeBeautiful landscape
Beautiful landscape

Due to traffic jam on National roads we were diverted by police to a secondary road so we got to enjoy this wonderful landscape.
Stopover to enjoy the snowStopover to enjoy the snow
Stopover to enjoy the snow

And we've made some cute friends


Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0721s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb