In Transylvania


Advertisement
Romania's flag
Europe » Romania » Transilvania » Brasov » Brasov
May 26th 2006
Published: May 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hey there trip voyeurs..........

Yesterday we had an excellent tour of Bucharest, followed by a good dinner al fresco. Thank gooodness the temperature had cooled because it had been in the mid-90s since I arrived!!!!!

This morning we were on the bus by 9 AM for our ride to Transylvania. It took almost 4 hours to get here, but it was interesting and informative because we learned a lot about life under Communism and the Gypsies. One finds it amazing that the people's lives here have completely changed in 15 years since the revolution. None of the consumer goods we saw in a rest stop were available......nor were the cars. It truly been aleap into a brave new world for these people. We went past a building which is not on the current tourist route.....the building where the dictator Caucescou was imprisoned for a day or two before his trial and execution in that same building!!!!!!

As for the gypsys....it is a case of a minority which the people must learn to accept. Like all people, there are good and bad folks. The problem is that they are very unqilling to assimilate into current society. Some may have a cement brick house, but prefer to live in the tent which they pitch next to the house!!!! As is the case wherever gypsies are present, one really must ignore them and be sure your wallet/money is secure because it is tough to distinguish between good and bad ones.

We are actually now in Sinaia....which is a beautiful winter/summer resort town. Our hotel overlooks the terminus of the cable car.......so you know that I had to ride it. The first car goes up to 1400 meters then you change to another to get to the 2000 meters (roughly 6,000 ft) point. Walk out of the cable car station and there was still snow on the ground.
The air was very cool but totally free of any pollution and was just wonderful. Nothing is planned for dinner tonight so we'll just walk around til we spot someplace interesting.

Again, sorry about no pictures, but this internet cafe was a lot less expensive than doing this blog from my room at the hotel.

After dinner tonight, I hope a market is open so I can buy some garlic. We're going to Bran Castle tomorrow morning !!!!!!!!

Bob

Advertisement



Tot: 0.189s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb