Day 45 - Bucharest


Advertisement
Romania's flag
Europe » Romania » Muntenia » Bucharest
August 15th 2015
Published: August 17th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Bags finalised then off to our last shipboard breakfast. Lots of goodbyes as we eat then onto the bus for the trip to Bucharest and a visit to the "Palace of the Parliament".

This is the 2nd largest building behind the pentagon. It was built by the former dictator (Ceaușescu) about 30 years ago. This place is seriously big. We entered from the car park level, that is -3. Security, hand in passports and then we start our tour. A different tour guide from the parliament buildings. We walk up lots of steps, get told of all the different rooms, most of which are used for conferences or meetings. Half of the building is used as offices and it was never used by Ceaușescu as he was killed after being caught by the good guys.

We kept climbing and eventually got to the ground level. Up more flights of steps to the first level. All the while there were rooms that were so big that even for a conference they would excessive. We went out onto the balcony where he was going to make his speeches. This overlooks the copy of the Champs Elysses, only this one is 1 metre wider and 1 metre longer. He had to have the biggest and best. There was a staircase that had to be rebuilt 5 times, as both sides of this sweeping staircase had different sized steps and risers so that when he walked down, his wife, who was a short arse could match his timings. Hmm.....

Eventually we got out and retrieved our passports - this is the way that they ensure you don't hide out in the building. Onto the bus for a guided tour of the city of Bucharest. Interesting city with lots of ties back to French architecture. They call it the Paris of the East. We eventually get to our hotel at about 1400. It is bloody hot and we get our room keys and bolt to the rooms. We are on the top floor (5) and our room is rather large compared to the Hilton in Vienna. Get a little organised then go back down to get something to eat and drink. Nice little cafe not far away, and another couple join us.

We decide to go for a walk to the old town that we had passed on the bus. Not too far away according to the concierge. He is right but it takes a bit longer trying to find shade. Sure enough we find the old town, but nothing like some of the other old towns we have seen recently. This is mainly bistros and cafes all spruiking their wares. A bit tacky in a way. Wander back through some other streets we hadn't been down. It is amazing how many of the people from the ship we run into on the streets or cafes. Find our way back to the revolution square where lots of people died during the overthrow of Ceaușescu. Our hotel is just across another square so we head for the sanctity of the air conditioning.

We had arranged to meet a few of the others for dinner at 1800 in the lobby. It is now closer to 1730 than not so quick showers and changed for dinner. Meet up with our people and away we go to a cafe recommended by their bus tour guide as traditional Romanian food. Not too far and we get an outside table with nor problems. Cold beers and the food looks good (picture menus are a great thing in a foreign country. Food ordered, then another bunch from the ship turns up. Some try to re-arrange the tables but that isn't going to fly so we all decide it is easier to just have separate tables and chat over them if wanted. Food is great, except for Chris who ordered pork shasliks which were a bit tough. Try to get the bill so we can pay, boy is that a drama. We work out roughly what we owe, and then one of the group who is paying by card goes inside to pay. At that point he gets a detailed bill - hmmmm. Turns out our calculations were pretty much spot on - about 100 Ley each couple - or about $33 AUD - not bad for a feed and quite a few beers - coz it was really hot....... Back to another cafe for a nightcap with another couple and we catch up with at least 5 others from the ship. Beer done and we are off to bed. Fond farewells again, and we meet others agin in the lobby. It is one of their birthdays tomorrow so we promise to meet her before we leave and offer proper birthday wishes. To the room eventually and straight to bed, re-packing can wait till the morning.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.501s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 12; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1339s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb