Serbia and Bucharesti; Where they sell holy water and stray dogs rule the streets


Advertisement
Europe » Romania » Muntenia » Bucharest
January 24th 2010
Published: February 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

That was a quick week of travel, as in two weeks I have been in four countries (We've decided against Kosovo). Mostly just seeing the capital cities, though, as there is no time on this journey to see the 'good stuff' although city life anywhere is interesting enough... So, from my last entry, leaving Macedonia, the train left early evening so went to watch Avatar to pass the time. It was a dece... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Cetatea PoienariCetatea Poienari
Cetatea Poienari

On top of the hill, 1480 steps up, lays Vlad's fortress, the "real" Dracula castle!
Quit following meQuit following me
Quit following me

Several dogs followed us up to the Citadel
Poienari viewPoienari view
Poienari view

Below, a river and road
ArefuArefu
Arefu

Quiet little village, allegedly all the people are descendants of Vlad's servants and minions!
Prayer boxPrayer box
Prayer box

Many of these were alongside the road in Arefu, full of religious objects and pictures



16th April 2010

At least you stopped off at the "real" one. My knees took months to recover from the climb. If you're ever in Bucuresti again I suggest "The Funky Chicken" across from the National Radio Theatre on B'dul Gen'l Bertolet. Walking distance from the Gara d' Nord. (And, yes, I knew the chicken the place was named after, but he's looooong dead by now.)
16th April 2010

btw
BTW, all Romanians say "Why would you go there??!" to any place you mention. Even Romania itself.
3rd August 2010

The legend of Curtea de Arges Monastery
I presume you don't know the legend of Curtea de Arges Monastery (otherwise you would have probably mentioned it :) It is preserved in an old folk poem (just like "Fefeleaga", kids study it in school :) So, that's how it goes: the ruler of the land hires the best masons to build the most beautiful monastery. They work hard but whatever they build during the day collapses at night. Their master, Manole, dreams that the solution is a human sacrifice. The masons agree to build in the wall the first wife who shows up with lunch the following day. Unfortunately this is Ana, Manole's wife, who manages to overcome nature's unleashed powers (rain, storm, etc - unleashed by the prayers of Manole, desperate to see his wife arriving). Manole has to keep his word and builds (a pregnant) Ana alive despite her pleading. (If I remember correctly she dies after one or two nights of crying from inside the wall). The masons finish the building but unwisely answer the ruler's question that yes, they can build an even more beautiful monastery. The ruler orders the scaffolding removed and lets them die on the roof. The masons build shingle wings and (as Icarus) attempt to fly (down) but crash and die. A fountain marks the spot of Manole's crash and there is also a mark on the Southern wall of the church where Ana was buried alive. Of course, it is just a story (kids learn in school that its significance is about the sacrifice one has to make in order to create something truly valuable).
6th September 2010

Thanks Akina
Thank you Akina! I did know the basics but not the details behind the legend of the Monestary. That is very interesting. Vetalau told us that his grandfather's wife was the girl in the Fefeleaga story; he only spoke in Romanian so i don't know exactly what all he said, but that is how i understood it. Which didn't really make sense. But I still really enjoyed Romania and wish to return at some point- perhaps to a different farm!

Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0572s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb