Portugal


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal
December 17th 2008
Published: December 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

PORTUGAL
Lagos, Lisbon & Porto




Winter has definitely settled in Europe for me, especially the further North I go. Entering into Portugal and first stop the small fishing port and surf beach paradise of Lagos, you definitely feel the cold winter chills. However this surf beach paradise normally packed to the brink in the summer months, still lets the sun shine through during my stay. Most of the restaurants, bars and hotels are now taking their siesta break until next spring. Though the city goes out at no expense on Christmas decorations throughout the old town streets - yes Christmas is upon us. This stop is made for time to slow down and relax from the normal up & go sight seeing in recent months.


Lisbon on the other hand is a bustling city. Made up of seven hills and scattered at the top of each await many amazing views. Well worth the climb to some of the main look out points. Central Lisbon is a mix of crumbling pastel-coloured houses, grand squares and narrow lanes and alleys. Here the vintage trams (reminds me of the old green rattlers back home), shudder up and down the hills. You need to be prepared, to climb up and down the many hills and steps to explore this wonderful city. Be it in the Alfama district, a Moorish medieval neighbourhood with a labyrinth of twisted alleys and steeply slanted streets or the Bairro Alto (Old Town) district, with it´s many restaurants ranging from traditional cuisines, pastry shops (the Portuguese pastries are to die for), boutique shops and designer shops all crammed within a square kilometer, taking residence in century old buildings.
An hour out of Lisbon and I head into Sintra, a place full of stunning palaces and manors surrounded by lush green country side. A perfect summer retreat for Portugal's King's. It's iconic palace is the Palacio Da Pena (Pena Palace) with it's surrounding parks and gardens. The palace filled with yesteryear treasures is a travelling time machine and from the perimeter walls and turrets it commands amazing spectacular views of the nearby hills and valleys.


Further North I travelled to Porto, Portugal's second largest city, only here I managed to have one full dry weather day, exploring the beach fronts and along the famous old-world river frontage of the River Douro taking up as much of the suns rays, for the remaining days were nothing but wet. Venturing out in the dry time to explore the old city quarters and steep streets, lined with lofty houses that have washing strung from their windows protected by makeshift plastic awnings. Occasionally stopping over at a cafe (and sample many different Portuguese pastries) to take shelter and watch the rain pass by.








Additional photos below
Photos: 187, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.031s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb