Hello sun!!


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Northern » Porto
March 27th 2011
Published: April 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Porto and took the subway to the street that the hostel was on, we came to #93 which is what it said it was in the directions and there was no sign for the Atum Guest House. We must have looked very confused because someone was in the window above watching us, he yelled down, "Michelle?" Shelly answered and well we were 'home'. We looked around a little skeptical that this was the right place but Padro walked us in, sat us down and took a map out explaining the best places to go. He told us all about Porto and Lisbon. We then walked around the little apartment and it was... hard to describe, but pretty cool. There was about 5 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, a kitchen and a balcony. It was getting late that night so we walked to the grocery store to get some goods for dinner, to our surprise the wine there was from 0.90 euros to 2 euros in prices so we grabbed a few. When we were picking out fruit we noticed this green colored fruit that was about the size of a softball, we picked it up trying to figure out what it was, it was slightly squishy, and when we shook it the pit in the middle raddled around. We decided, "eh what the hell" and bought one. We went home and figured out it was an Avacado, the biggest avacado we had ever had!!!

The next day we decided to venture out to the Port wine caves that were across the river. We wanted to see the city so we walked to the caves instead of taking the metro. It took about 2 hours to get there. This place took "I used to walk up hill both ways to school" to a whole new meaning. These hills were sooooooo steep and they were everywhere! We went to the two caves that had free tours and free tastings. We learned the history behind the company and how they pick, crush, and store their wine. It was really interesting and the wine was delicious!! That night when we finally got back to the apartment, we met two German girls that were staying at the hostel too. We stayed up that night just drinking wine and chatting. We ended up having a lot in common.


The last two days we
Us inside the caves Us inside the caves Us inside the caves

We were at the Taylor Wine Caves looking at the rows of small wine barrels. They had delicious port wine in them!
spent in Porto, we went to the beach one day which was absolutely beautiful and shopping the other. The beach was amazing, we took an old tram ride to the coast from the city and it travelled along the river side. We offically succeeded in getting our first sunburn of the trip! 😊




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Atum Guest HouseAtum Guest House
Atum Guest House

This was the kitchen/ laundry room/ dining room/ storage room in Padros sweet place. We fell in love!


Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb