Rain


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Northern » Porto
March 28th 2007
Published: March 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I had a different teacher today from Monday and Tuesday, a young woman, studying to be a teacher and is now doing her student teaching with two other students. Since she’s from Porto, she was able to answer most of my questions about life here. Her passion is for literature, writing, poetry, etc. he even quoted from memory lines from Portugal’s most famous poet, Luis Camoes—I probably spelled that wrong, but I’ll for sure do some research on him when I get home. Great lesson!
I told you yesterday that I would go to the planetarium today, but I found out it is not open on weekdays, so I went to the trolley car museum instead. What luck! There were two actresses, who put on a show for a group of six year-olds. I’ think I enjoyed the show as much as the kids did. While I was in the museum, it rained very hard—just so you don’t think it never rains here. Anyway, I came back to the school early to get out of the rain. Sun’s shining now, so I’ll probably go while I can. Of course, I didn’t have my little fold up umbrella in my purse as I should have. It’s a little like Seattle here, rain can arrive at any moment. So now I know.
I know I said I wouldn’t talk about the pavement anymore, but I forgot to say one thing. Somebody has to clean them, and that falls to the shopkeepers, usually women who have to go out with a mop and a bucket of soapy water. That part is OK, but first they have to dig up what’s stuck in between the little paving stones—gum, cigarette butts, and doggy do. Fun, huh?
The director of the school offered me a glass of vinho tinto (red wine, not Port.) Of course, I accepted. Very nice, not sweet, but not too dry either.
My regular teacher will be back tomorrow, and there will be a group activity of some sort.
More tomorrow, maybe.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0438s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb