Port in Porto


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Northern » Porto
February 27th 2022
Published: March 10th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Over a year since we have been overseas and it was going to be our last opportunity before the little one arrives. We also had to be careful as to not catch Covid and prevent us from getting to Porto, in the end we made it.

We booked an airbnb close to the river front and most importantly opposite our daily Pasties de Nata shop!

We arrived the Friday to warm sunny weather which stayed with us until we left on Monday. It definitely made the trip more enjoyable especially given it was mid winter!

Our first day we enjoyed exploring along the riverfront on both sides. Starting along the Cais de Ribeira where you can sit in the sun, as it's south facing, and order a drink or some food whilst enjoying the river front views of Gaia and Pont Luis and listening to one of the spaced out music buskers depending on where you sit.

We ambled over to the other side to Gaia on the bottom section of Pont Luis where the sun shines on the city and provides a great backdrop to photos with old style port boats.

We walked up the hill to Mosteiro da Serra do Pilar and Jardim do Morro which gives even more amazing higher views of Porto and then returned back over the bridge on the top section where you arrive at Porto Cathederal and back to the Airbnb for some port.

Another day we checked out further north of the city. We wanted to visit the Livraria Lello which is a unique library but apparently you had to book a time slot and there was quite a queue at 9.30 in the morning. So we walked the streets to the Camara Municipal do Porto and then back down to Sao Bento Train station with it's amazing tiled interior. Also nearby to the Igreja de Santo ildefonso with again a beautiful blue and white tiled exterior.

Our last morning on Monday morning was my birthday and we treated ourselves to an amazing banana waffle breakfast at Floresta cafe by Hungry Bike, a very high recommendation.

Porto was a perfect size to walk around and sit and enjoy the sights and sound. We knew we weren't going to spend the whole day out and about so it worked perfectly. It was definitely a nice change given the last two years!


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb