Almost Over


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Northern » Braga
August 5th 2010
Published: August 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

So much to blog and so little computer access, we share with everyone staying here so it takes a little time to have a chance to tell the story. No pics but will share when we get home.
Ok, the riding has been amazing for all three girls, truly a learning experience and they are having such a good time, that we are booking a return trip for next August. If this is my husband reading this maybe I should have warned you first. Sorry, but it is gorgeous and I think you would like it too.
If this is anyone else reading and you are thinking I want to ride horses in Portugal let us know soon. They only take a small number of riders and the horses are very high quality both dressage (please pronounce with a Scottish accent) and jumping. No I donºt get a commission but good question.
Favorite phrases of the vacation. Annie is going to the Darby, which means Annie is riding a beautiful horse named Sapatera too fast and is racing. Once again best with a Scottish accent. Another favorite is if you reins are that long I can hang my knickers.

Which means YOU ARE RIDING A STALLION if you reins are that long you might die.. Ok joking not die, it is actually very safe and the instructors are amazing.

Along with all the instructors the kids have had the chance to meet people from Sweden and Norway which only adds to the fun and interest of the trip.

We have made friends with a teenager from Sweden named Beatrice and she usually goes on our adventures with us. Adventures mean as soon as Annieºs last ride of the day is over we make a mad dash for the shower and car so we can site see and be back in time for dinner at nine. Plus my driving skills on the narrow roads would not be amazing after dark.

Yesterday we went back to Point de Lima for a second day. It is truly that lovely. It is on the river Lima and has walls built in the 1100s we climbed the stairs and walked on some of the walls that still exist. Every church in Portugal rings bells on the hour and half hour they are beautiful way to wake up and mark the time throughout the day. Point de Lima is known for a walking bridge dating back to 1100s with 27 according to the guide book, we could swear there are 28, Roman arches.

We have been wooed by varous pastry shops and Italian ices, so I wish I was riding three times a day. For anyone that does not think riding is work you are so wrong. Each girl is dripping with sweat at the end of each ride. Annie has successfully completed 12 lessons and by tomorrow evening 15. Keep in mind she normally takes one lesson per week in America so in the last four days Annie has had 12 weeks worth of lessons on outstanding schoolmaster horses.

Today we headed to Bom Jesus, pronounced Bon Jesush. Portugal words that end in s are pronounced sh. As you might imagine it is a church. First a church in the 1400 and later planned and more elaborate in 1725 finished building in 1811. The church is at the top of a large hill-small mountain with steps, around 200 of them, leading to the church. We climbed up and down. Various fountains and small chapels leading to the church. Each small chapel tells part of the story of the crucifiction. It was an amazing sight. At the top near the church is somewhat of a small neighborhood with two beautiful hotels and a cafe. It is a religious destination although most of the pilgrims today do not climb on their knees as they did in the past. Ok we did not see anyone climbing on their knees and it was not in the cards for me.

Tomorrow is our last day at the farm. We leave early Saturday morning and it will be strange to not have dinner with Inga and Martin and Antonio and Carina along with two bowls of soup per day.

I cant find an apostrophe on this keyboard to save my life, sorry.
Or a question mark, oh well.





Advertisement



Tot: 0.281s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0582s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb