Enjoying the delights of Funchal


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Madeira » Funchal
May 3rd 2023
Published: May 3rd 2023
Edit Blog Post

3rd May



Our hotel is situated in the old town of Funchal and within close proximity there is always something interesting to see.



As the Portuguese almost completely dominated the North Atlantic routes in ancient times, the defence of the island did not seem of special importance. Because of this negligence, in 1566 Funchal suffered a terrible pirate attack, where many people were slaughtered.

In spite of the constant danger of another attack, only in 1614 the São Tiago Fort was finally built to protect Funchal from the corsairs. In 1767 it was enlarged and exclusively served military purposes until 1992, the year in which Madeira’s Regional Government decided to use it for cultural activities. There is also a restaurant with view across the battlements.



A little further on is The Socorro Church, also known as the St. James Church, it wasn’t open but the views from the walkway opposite were lovely.



More painted doors fo enjoy as we made our way back toward the hotel, the street alongside our hotel is full of tables outside restaurants in the evening, it was looking very quiet so early in
the morning, but it wouldn’t be long before they were setting up for the lunchtime trade.



Benita continued her walk and went as far as Santa Catarina Park whilst I went back to meet up with David at the hotel.



Benita joined us in time for lunch when we decided the Apple Tartlet would be our treat today.



Suddenly the days seem to be going by quickly but we still have plenty more to see on the beautiful island of Madeira.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement










Tot: 0.64s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1665s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb