Flower Festival Parade


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Madeira » Funchal
May 1st 2023
Published: May 1st 2023
Edit Blog Post

30th April

Sunday is the day of the Great Allegoric Flower Parade when thousands of locals and tourists descend on Funchal.

After breakfast Benita, Rosemary & I went to collect our grandstand seats, we had pre-ordered them on line before arriving in Madeira but no tickets are issued until the day. As we walked to the pickup point rows and rows of empty tiered seats which would be full later in the day. We had no idea what number grandstand we would be located in.

We had passed 10 grandstands most each side of the road, a fair walk from our hotel & even more beyond.

We were handed our tickets & what a bonus we had obviously been some of the first to book as we were in Grandstand No. 1 seats 912-917, not too far from the hotel and at the start of the parade.



We enjoyed a nice cold drink together before going our separate ways.



With streets closed all around our hotel, the main starting point for the parade, we enjoyed a relaxing time around the pool area & a light lunch.



The parade
didn’t start until 4.30pm, everyone is recommended to be in their seats by 3.30pm. We set off in plenty of time. On arrival we were each given a bottle of water and a straw hat, a rather bright green trilby that might come in handy for a flower club competition if a decorated hat is the subject.



Our seats were quite high up and it wasn’t long before a flood of green straw trilbys filled the grandstand.



The floats and groups were starting to line up ready for the start and dead on 4.30pm the music started and the first float pulled slowly into view followed by a troupe of beautifully dressed children dancing to the music, following the children more dancers all complimenting the colours of the first float.

As the parade progressed the sights, sounds & spectacle of the Madeira Flower Festival with 13 floats & 1700 participants was amazing, our second time for experiencing the parade but a first for Benita, Sally, Betty & Rosemary.



The last time David & I came we had seats on the front row but this time being higher up I did
have to try and avoid all the green hats in the photos but in the end it all added to the atmosphere. Thankfully the lady sitting in front of me did put down her umbrella she was using as a sun shield when I asked politely (Twice!).



It was 6.30 before the last float went by & we wondered if those in grandstand 12 had even seen the first one yet.



So it was a quick meal and an early night - Today 1st May is a Public holiday (Labour Day) there are two cruise ships in port Cunard Queen Victoria & NCL Epic.



Benita & I wandered along the promenade and were able to see the festival floats close up and admire the thousands of beautiful blooms of all shapes, sizes and colours without the crowds.



Benita went for her usual walk about & I went back to hotel to download all the photos from the parade so I hope you enjoy this Fabulous Floral Experience.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement









Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 13; qc: 32; dbt: 0.032s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb