A weekend of Flowers & Cars


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Madeira » Funchal
April 28th 2018
Published: April 29th 2018
Edit Blog Post

SATURDAY

Usually the children's parade is held on the day before the Flower Parade but due to poor weather last Saturday the event was rescheduled for this weekend

I wasn't able to get a grandstand view this time and I had expected perhaps that the children would have dressed up.

By the time I reached the municipal square, there seemed to be children with their parents, each child holding a flower that was to be placed on the Wall of Hope.

I had read reports from previous years of a parade of colourfully clad children in traditional dress, never mind it was a lovely atmosphere, the square was full of onlookers as we listed to music and watched flower girls dancing.

Plenty of barricades & police controlling the crowds, many like us tourists visiting Madeira.

This was taken from the local information! "The Wall of Hope is a symbolic sculpture calling for peace in the world. 1000 children, each carrying a flower, parade down Avenida Arriaga to the Praça do Município to place a flower on the wall. The ceremony concludes with a release of doves and a children’s show."

Strange looking doves, they looked more like pigeons!! It was still a wonderful sight though. I was just glad that Sunshine the hotel Harris Hawk was safely back at the hotel.

On the way back to the hotel we passed flea market stalls along the cobbled street, the cable car was busy with tourists so a coffee at a roof top cafe was a good stopping point before returning to the hotel for a relaxing afternoon.

Referring back to the children's parade, whilst chatting to one of the restauranteurs last night he explained that the parade would normally have had children dressed with flowers adorning their outfits but as this was cancelled last week unfortunately all the flowers that had been prepared could not be held over for another week. I guess that's why we saw quite a lot of children ornately dressed during the main parade last Sunday.

SUNDAY

It's been a relaxing Sunday around the hotel but at 3.30pm close by was the annual cavalcade of vintage/classic cars. No need for grandstand seats today although there were plenty on offer. We managed to find a good vantage point, the very kind policeman kept moving to ensure he did not block anyone's view.

All the flower girls paraded past to take their places at the head of the parade, it wasn't long before the cars started to pass by slowly, bibbing their horns as they went. More classic cars on show than vintage but nevertheless for the enthusiast there were classic Mercedes,BMW, Mini, Audi,Fiat and many more I did not recognise. Motorcyclists, lambrettas all added to the variety. Finally vintage coaches & fire engines & military vehicles concluded the parade.

It wouldn't me Madeira without some form of flower decoration! Many of the cars had beautiful flowers attached to the bonnet or bumpers & of course children in their pretty floral dresses & hats.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



29th April 2018
Cavalcade of cars

Cars as well !
What a great time what with flowers everywhere and a car parade thrown in too. The roadsides are full of wild pink azaleas and big white lilies and a plant that looks like a delicate gladioli in white and pink. In some places banks of nasturtiums to name but a few. I think our azaleas will just be starting to flower when we get back ( Wednesday). Still ,May is a fantastic month in England. I can't wait to get out in the garden. Let's hope the weather lets me ! Thank you fir your marvellous photos. Love to you both xxx

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0239s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb