Lisbon


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Lisbon & Tagus Valley
November 5th 2022
Published: November 7th 2022
Edit Blog Post

We've been staying in Cascais, which connects to Lisbon by urban train (takes about 30 min), so today we bought a 24 hour transit pass to go inti the city to explore.
I'd read that there's a streetcar, tram 28, which runs a route that's a good scenic overview of the city, so we decided to do that first. The article I read suggested the stop at the beginning of the route to make sure we could get a seat. That was a mistake- there was a huge line. We waited for probably an hour and a half. We would have been better to get on at the 2nd stop and just stand, because at the second stop there was almost no one that got on, so we wouldn't have had to wait at all (at the 1st stop, the tram filled, but only the seats, since no one wanted to stand after waiting for so long, so once the seats were filled, the rest of the people just waited for the next tram). As the tram continued on its route, eventually all the standing room was gone too.
I didn't really get why it was a city highlight. Riding on a tram is maybe fun, but I didn't really see that we were passing anything too exciting. Then partway along, a tram ahead of us had broken down, so 3 trams were all stuck waiting for the track to clear. We got off and headed by foot to see more of the city.
We wandered around for awhile, then had an early dinner, and went down by the sea for the sunset. Then we caught a train to Belen to see the Belen Tower before heading back to the hostel.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb