Some Photos from the Crossing


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Azores » Flores
June 30th 2012
Published: June 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Here are a few photos (sorry about the quality of them) to give you a very small view of what it was like during our crossing.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Leaving St. MartinLeaving St. Martin
Leaving St. Martin

The bridge on the French side of St. Martin that we exited through just before leaving to cross the Atlantic.
You can see the weatherYou can see the weather
You can see the weather

The weather makes itself very obvious when you are out at sea as seen by this photo.
No Straight Line Sailing for UsNo Straight Line Sailing for Us
No Straight Line Sailing for Us

Sailing is definitely not traveling in a straight line. This photo of our chartplotter shows the crazy path we took when we were in 1 of 2 squalls that we went through. The dotted line you see is the “straight” path and the red line is what we actually did! Needless to say we went around in a circle when the storm was overhead.
MoonlightMoonlight
Moonlight

It was hard to capture the amount of moonlight we saw as it shown down on the ocean during our night watches. It made it surprisingly easy to see while on night watch.
The ocean can be flatThe ocean can be flat
The ocean can be flat

It was surprising to see how flat the ocean can be as seen here while at other times the waves were 15 feet tall.
SunriseSunrise
Sunrise

One of many beautiful sunrises that we got to see while crossing the Atlantic.
One of manyOne of many
One of many

Just one of many beautiful sights you see while at sea.
Stairs or workbench?Stairs or workbench?
Stairs or workbench?

Today the stairs became a workbench so Bob could grind off a point on a screw he needed for one of his projects.
Galley or Workshop?Galley or Workshop?
Galley or Workshop?

For now the galley has been turned over to become a workshop for Bob. Everything seems to have a double purpose on the boat, even the galley!
Up the Mast While at SeaUp the Mast While at Sea
Up the Mast While at Sea

Yes, you have seen photos of Bob up the mast before but this time was very different as you can see the sail is up and we are sailing while Bob went up the mast to secure the radar dome bracket that decided to crack.
what was that speed??what was that speed??
what was that speed??

This shows that the hull speed of the boat was 8.7 with wind only at 16.7 knots – not a bad speed at all!
Captain BobCaptain Bob
Captain Bob

Captain Bob with his foul weather bibs, long sleeve shirt and his trusty PFD (personal flotation device) as it getting colder.
You need boots too!You need boots too!
You need boots too!

To complete the wardrobe you also need sea boots as shown by Janice. They really need to go under the leg of the bib but the seas weren’t rough so not a problem
Ready for anythingReady for anything
Ready for anything

Bob “suiting” up for a squall or rain shower – hard to tell sometimes at night what you might be getting so need to be prepared. The outfit always includes a trusty headlamp with red & white light for night time.
Waves rolling under the boatWaves rolling under the boat
Waves rolling under the boat

It is hard to tell from the photo but when you looked out front you would see waves breaking higher than the side of the boat – luckily they didn’t cause us any problems.
Another Flying FishAnother Flying Fish
Another Flying Fish

One of many flying fish “caught” by Tsamaya. You needed to check the deck every morning to see if you had any so you could throw them back into the sea.
Rainbow SightingRainbow Sighting
Rainbow Sighting

The last day at sea we got to see this beautiful rainbow – seemed to be a good sign!
An island under that cloudAn island under that cloud
An island under that cloud

It was hard to see but we actually got to see the island under that cloud when we were 18 miles out from shore. It poked out of the cloud for a short time and then we didn’t see it again until you were about a mile from it.
Land Ho!Land Ho!
Land Ho!

The island of Flores comes in to view – this is definitely “land ho”


8th July 2012

The pictures have a quality that matches the conditions...
they are great! You didn't mention anything about trash at sea. Did you see much?

Tot: 0.704s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 32; qc: 121; dbt: 0.2132s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb