Background: Following its heyday as a world power during the 15th and 16th centuries, Portugal lost much of its wealth and status with the destruction of Lisbon in a 1755 earthquake, occupation during the Napoleonic Wars, and the independence in 1822 of Brazil as a colony. A 1910 revolution deposed the monarchy; for most of the next six decades, repressive governments ran the country. In 1974, a left-wing military coup installed broad democratic reforms. The following year, Portugal granted independence to all of its African colonies. Portugal is a founding member of NATO and entered the EC (now the EU) in 1986.
Photos from Flores
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Flores
Latest Blogs from Flores
- June 12th 2013 Bermuda to the Azores - Europe's most wanted!
by Words: 7430 Photos: 15
- July 19th 2012 An Additional Week in Flores - July 6 - July 15th
by Words: 1433 Photos: 53
- July 13th 2012 July, Friday the 13th - Lucky or Unlucky??
by Words: 455 Photos: 2
- July 6th 2012 Flores - An Island of Flowers and Beauty
by Words: 1489 Photos: 86
- June 30th 2012 Some Photos from the Crossing
by Words: 26 Photos: 19
- June 29th 2012 Some facts/figures & info about the crossing
by Words: 1778 Photos: 4
- June 28th 2012 The Blog Entries Made While "Crossing"
by Words: 9274 Photos: 8
- September 20th 2011 Lisbon and the Azores, unexpected gems of Europe
by Words: 155 Photos: 20