Sailing in SW Spain and Portugal's Algarve region


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Algarve
October 26th 2007
Published: October 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Training voyage - SW Spain & Portugal's Algarve

The map shows overland routes, but really, we used the water route.

Hi - We just arrived back in Gib today after a 2-week training voyage to southwest Spain and Portugal. Training was pretty tough, but it was great to see the little towns along the way. I've attached several photos of the trip. We started by sailing from Gib to Rota in the Bay of Cadiz (Spain). From there, we stopped in Ayamonte (Spain) and Via Real de San Antonio (Portugal). Ayamonte and Vila Real are on the river Quadaquiver (?) which creates the border between the two countries. We had the best meal ever in a tiny restaurant on a narrow street of Ayamonte - no menu, just pick what you see has been prepared that day - for us it was great fish and tomato salads. We visited the Portugese towns of Portimao and Lagos (rest day, great place, must return), then headed back to Gib via Tavira (Portgugal), Vilamoura (Portugal), Olhao (Portugal), Mazagon (Spain), and Cadiz (Spain). These Portugese towns are all part of the Algarve region - a popular resort area. While we didn't have time, we tried to go into town and see as much as possible close to the marina. Lagos has a really charming old town and a beautiful, long beach. I'm hoping to return someday.

Winds were light most of the time. So, unfortunately, we did most of the passage under motor. Nevertheless, we got several opportunities to do night pilotage practice, passage planning and skipppering. In each place we either berthed in the marina or anchored out. Along the way, we saw lots of dolphins, pilot whales, and birds. We caught (temporarily) a small dolphin fish (aka Mahi Mahi or dorado) and a bird that mistakenly took the bait.

I'll let the photos tell more about the last two weeks...

All the best,
Deirdre


Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0232s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb