The Loss of a Great Companion


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Algarve » Lagos
October 29th 2012
Published: October 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Sailor - She is Already MissedSailor - She is Already MissedSailor - She is Already Missed

It is hard to believe that such a small crew member can leave such a big hole on the boat.
Sailor – The Loss of a Great Companion

On October 25th we lost our companion, Sailor. Even though the veterinarian had warned us that she wouldn't be with us much longer, it is still very difficult to realize she's gone. For 10 years the three of us have been a family. From the first day we brought her home from the SPCA in Ithaca she has met us at the door when we came home and been an eager lap warmer on those cold winter nights. You could always depend on her to climb into the bunk and share a nap with you, often purring so loudly you'd swear you’d never get to sleep. The gentle ringing of the bell we put around her neck to give the birds a chance always alerted you to her arrival. As we sit on the boat now it's hard to believe we won't be hearing that bell at any moment.

Bob always joked that she was the only thing on the boat that didn't have a purpose. If that were true why is it we both feel her absence so deeply?

We noticed in the Azores that she was starting to
We will miss our welcome homeWe will miss our welcome homeWe will miss our welcome home

Sailor always liked to greet us at the door when we came back to the boat - just one of the many things we will miss with her passing.
lose weight but we were unable to get her to the veterinarian until we arrived in Portugal even though we tried earlier. Unfortunately his diagnosis was kidney failure, an ailment that afflicted her from when we were in Ithaca. Five days of treatment at the clinic had little impact and seemed to only make her miserable. We brought her home and she seemed to be much happier and much more comfortable although she had stopped eating and was drinking very little. It was difficult to think of her as sick as she still jumped up on the bed with us at night and sat in our lap every chance she could.

For a cat that had lived her first eight years as an indoor- outdoor cat with lots of land and trees to explore she adjusted to our boat amazingly well. She seemed to enjoy having us around full time since moving onto Tsamaya. She became an even more affectionate and outgoing member of the crew always knowing the best place to sleep when we were sailing. She always knew when we had anchored and would be on the deck checking out the new location. Birds continued to be one of her major fascinations however seagulls and pelicans presented a much greater challenge than the chickadees and finches of Ithaca. Luckily she never tried to chase them or try to catch any flying fish.

If there is a heaven for pets and I hope there is, she's there now climbing trees, chasing birds, drinking rainwater and curling up in a nice warm sunny spot knowing how much we miss her.

Advertisement



28th October 2012

a good life...
That was a sad blog post to read, but it sounds like Sailor had the most amazing life. Nothing beats a purring cat cuddle in winter...
1st November 2012

Sailor
Right from the beginning you named her right! Little did she know she would become a sailor. She had a very venturous life. Much more then most cats and much more then most of us! She was the smallest most petite cat, but had a big presence in your life. For sure she is in kitty- cat heaven having a good time and remembering all her good times with you! ,

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb