A White Christmas in Poland


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Silesia » Czestochowa
January 5th 2009
Published: January 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Mario and I somehow spent almost 24 hours getting to Poland even though our actual flight was only 2 and a half hours! Three busses, one plane and one car ride later, we arrived at Mario's parents house!

The main Christmas celebration in Poland is on Christmas eve and usually involves a feast of 12 dishes. Even though I think the drinks were included in the 12 dishes, I was full halfway through!! Maybe I should have followed in Mariusz's (Mario's brother-in-law) footsteps and starved myself from 6am! He just kept eating and eating! Haha!

At the beginning we each had a piece of rice paper with a religious print and had to tell each person your wishes for them whilst breaking a piece of their rice paper off and eating it!

Halfway through the evening meal we took a break and opened all the Christmas presents. Mikołaj gave them out to everyone, it was so cute! In Polish his name is actually what they call Santa Claus!

The next morning, a huge breakfast was set out...unfortunately I was still full from the night before!

Poland had a lovely feeling at Christmas time, and not just because of all the snow, but I was impressed that so many people made an effort to decorate their houses with lights and Christmas trees in their windows!


Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Preparing the tablePreparing the table
Preparing the table

and then everyone got dressed up...which I had no idea about!
Music time at the table!Music time at the table!
Music time at the table!

Traditional carp with kapusta (cabbage)
Spanish meats for Mario's dadSpanish meats for Mario's dad
Spanish meats for Mario's dad

(Sorry yours got confiscated dad!)


22nd January 2009

OMG
Hey Mariss, churhc looks amazing!!! omg the photos are gorgeous!!! glad you and mario are doing so well! he has cute pets.... are you missing simba...? :)

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.062s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb