Life by the Lake


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Lubusz
June 16th 2018
Published: June 16th 2018
Edit Blog Post

We have been in Kunowice for a few days now enjoying the hospitality of Agata’s parents Ella and Ziebie. Agata, Sean, Aidan, Nicholas and Alexander are in their new house just along the road.

The setting is absolutely beautiful overlooking a tranquil, small lake teaming with birdlife and I understand fish. Alexander likes fishing with Ziebie. When Ella and Ziebie first arrived they never realised the lake was there as it was surrounded with lots of old trees. They cleared the surrounds and replaced the old trees with new ones which by law you have to do.

We realised they have already visited NZ as on the wall is a carving of a New Zealand tiki.

There is a resident stork which, if you are quiet you can sometimes catch wading in the reeds. It spends the night on the branch of a dead tree nearby. We are waiting for the nest and babies.

Talking of babies, we, and Agata, are still waiting. Probably next week sometime.

There is also a cuckoo which drives me mad at 4am. Dawn is very early at 3.30am and dusk nearly 10 pm.

Aidan and Nicholas arrived with Sean from Savannah on Tuesday. They really enjoy the environment here too, especially playing with their Polish cousins. A number of Agata’s extended family live in the same street with their children. So as you can see it is a great place for children to spend their summer holidays.

The nearest town with a supermarket is Słubice, just by the River Oder on the other side of which is Frankfurt am Oder, about 15 minutes away. We have been feasting on summer berries, raspberries, blueberries and strawberries from Ziebie’s extensive garden.

The temperature is a bit cool in the morning but warms up to super hot in the afternoon.

We go for walks in the evening around the growing village, with quite a few new houses, and into the forest at the end of the street. Tall thin trees which I think are a type of pine, with not much undergrowth. The forest of Little Red Riding Hood and Hansel and Gretel. No Gruffalos here though.

The houses are constructed of two layers of concrete bricks with insulation in between to cope with the cold winters, although snow comes later and later each year now. Windows are triple glazed.

We have just come back from lunch in Słubice (pronounced Swubitze - the letter that looks like a ‘t’ is not a ‘t’ but an ‘l’ and pronounced as a ‘w’) which is full of Germans who come over the border for cheaper shopping.

So that is where we are for a while in peaceful Kunowice.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

My arty reflection photoMy arty reflection photo
My arty reflection photo

If you zoom in you might see the stork flying off.
And fishingAnd fishing
And fishing

Note the two dogs, Ziebie’s Mickey and Handso from Cambodia.


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb