Our last day in Kraków


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Lesser Poland » Kraków
June 10th 2018
Published: June 10th 2018
Edit Blog Post

This is the selfie photoThis is the selfie photoThis is the selfie photo

You weren’t allowed to take a photo of the real one
We have really enjoyed Kraków. It helped having an extra day so we didn’t have to rush. Today was the Lady with an Ermine by Leonardo da Vinci. This was a surprise as we didn’t expect to find her here.

She is caught with her body facing right while she turns left slightly as if to listen to and smile at someone in that direction. The ermine is fidgety as its hind leg muscles can be seen trying to wriggle out of her arms.

The sitter is Cecilia Gallerani from Siena who was sent to the Court of Milan In 1439. She was young, beautiful and educated, wrote poetry and took an active part in philosophical and theological discussions. As such she caught the eye of the notorious Duke of Milan and became his mistress. Two things happened in 1491; she gave birth to his son and he got married, to someone else. Hence she was dispatched to live in the Carmagnola Palace in Milan taking the portrait with her.

After her death it disappeared for a few centuries and then reappeared in Poland with the background painted in black. It was rescued from Hitler during WWII by the German Governor General of Poland, Hanz Frank. He wanted it for himself.

It usually resides in the Wawel Castle but has been loaned to the museum until the end of next year. It was rather beautiful.

Tomorrow we catch a train to Rzepin, near Kunowice, where Agata will pick us up. Sean arrives the next day with Aidan and Nicholas from Savannah. We are looking forward to seeing them all again, as well as Agata’s family, and to welcoming grandson no.11 when he arrives.

I’ve put some general photos of Kraków up. Do come and visit some time. The sights are amazing, the coffee (and beer) is good and the people are very friendly.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

The TheatreThe Theatre
The Theatre

And we celebrated when the Waterfront Theatre was built
A Piebald and a SkewbaldA Piebald and a Skewbald
A Piebald and a Skewbald

We had to look up the difference


Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0328s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb