HIKING THE TATRAS AROUND ZAKOPANE


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Lesser Poland » Zakopane
September 29th 2008
Published: October 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Caught the 10am bus to Zakopane towards the Tatra mountains. 2 hours later we are there, its a bit cool here, we walked around to find the hostel, its an old house, the architecture is typical of house here. dropped our things check in is at 2pm , the usual. Found KFC so we had lunch there, walked around the pedestrian streets lots of tourists, we found Tescos as well so we shopped for dinner. We met a very nice young couple, Eva from the Czech Rep. and Fernando a Spaniard, we had good laughs as we plan together our day trip to hike the Tatra tomorrow, we also decided to head off to a cheap bar and get drunk but when we found it it was a pizza place so we just bought beer and drank in the kitchen and hang out.

The next day we started late, Craig has to finish his laundry after breakfast which is included. When we are all organized we hopped on to Eva and Fernando's car we hoped to drive to the foot of the hill and take the cable car but we got lost, we took the wrong turn and we only realized we are lost when we stopped to pick up hitchhikers, they told us to go back, so we did, then Eva asked around and was told you cant bring cars there need to take a taxi, so we looked for a parking spot, quite difficult but we managed. Thank goodness the taxi left promptly. We realized we had to pay entrance to the park, I paid for Eva and Fernando as they took us in their car. We chose the yellow trail, easy at first then got harder, we took our time Eva and Craig well in front, me and fernando chatted so were far behind and we have to pee.. Every now and then the sun would come out otherwise it would be cold and breezy. We reached a look out point where we rested for a bit and took some photos then moved on, as you further up to the snow line it gets cold but since were sweating it is not too bad, we wanted to see the lake so we followed the blue trail towards it, Craig and I started throwing snow balls at each other, been awhile since I have seen snow. Reached arestaurant place and we had lunch outside, a few beers after we are off again to the lake, we found it slipping and sliding in the slushy snow. Stayed ther for a good hour then made our way back, took a good 2 hours to get down another route, very slippery as the trails got muddy. Back at the bottom, Fernando had his cigarette so we sat and rested, then hopped on the taxi back, we picked up their car then went grocery shopping, we bought sausages and I will cook dinner for us 3 boys, Eva is a vegetarian. Did my laundry, used the free internet to look up places to stay in Slovakia. Craig realized this is the last cook group for us, tomorrow we separate ways, so we drunk a lot that night.

Said goodbyes to Eva and Fernando then kill time internetiing then 12pm walked to the bus station and got tickets for our destinations, sad goodbye to Craig we hugged and off he goes to Krakow once again and I to Poprad in Slovakia.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

TATRAS MTNS., ZAKOPANETATRAS MTNS., ZAKOPANE
TATRAS MTNS., ZAKOPANE

EVA, FERNANDO, CRAIG AND GIL
TATRAS MTNS., ZAKOPANETATRAS MTNS., ZAKOPANE
TATRAS MTNS., ZAKOPANE

ME AND LITTLE SNOWMAN
TATRAS MTNS., ZAKOPANETATRAS MTNS., ZAKOPANE
TATRAS MTNS., ZAKOPANE

GIL, CRAIG, EVA AND FERNANDO
ZAKOPANEZAKOPANE
ZAKOPANE

HOSTEL WE STAYED IN


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0457s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb