Krakow, Poland


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Lesser Poland » Kraków
August 9th 2016
Published: August 31st 2016
Edit Blog Post

We flew from Rome to Krakow. I have been to Poland, but never to Krakow. The first thing we did was put our bags in the hotel and had lunch. Something famous in Poland is called Pierogis...something like a non-crunchy empanada. I have had them many times, but these ones were boiled and not fried and I did not like them. After that me, my dad, and Ania split up. My dad and I went to Wawal Castle. At the castle, we had a tour guide and we learned about the history of the castle. The castle was beautiful and had many rooms and 2 stories. In many of the rooms there were tapestries, but in one of the rooms there was a bunch of tapestries that told the story about the flood and Noah's arc. In a separate room the had a very special painting of a woman holding a ermine painted by Leonardo da Vinci. In a throne-like room where the king usually judged people, on the ceiling there were a bunch of wooden heads. It was really cool. We took some pictures outside of the castle. There were a lot of flowers and great views of the castle.
Wieliczka Salt MineWieliczka Salt MineWieliczka Salt Mine

so many steps




We then went back to the hotel. Our hotel was really beautiful because it had brick walls and mirrors on each side of the room. It was in a great location right on the main square. Afterwards the 3 of us tried to go to Schindler's Factory, but it was too late and all the tickets were sold out. Instead of doing that we did a tour on a small little golf cart like car. Our first stop was in the Jewish Ghetto. Then we went to a monument with a bunch of chairs that symbolized where many jews were killed in the holocaust during World War II. He dropped us off at our hotel and we walked to a restaurant (Pod Aniotami) We sat in the cellar part of the restaurant, so it was underground. We ordered cheese appetizer and then me and my dad shared a meat dish and Ania had something else. The restaurant was really cool because it had a great atmosphere.

The next day we woke up early to go to the salt mines (Wieliczka Salt Mine). The tour was about 4 hours including the drive and the salt mines. To get down into the salt mines, we walked 483 steps. Inside the salt mine, we had the chance to lick the walls or the floor, and I decided to lick the walls. It actually tasted like salt. We saw these statues made of salt showing the horses helping mine the salt and other statutes of the workers and how the salt was mined. There was a huge room that was a cathedral made of salt. Afterwards, at the end of the salt, Ania bought some salt.



After the salt mines, there was not much to do since it was all rainy, but me and my dad decided to let Ania do her shopping, and for us to do something different...virtual reality and a mirror maze. the mirror maze was really cool because I tried to run away from my dad. I bumped into almost all the mirrors. After that we went to do the virtual reality. The virtual reality was that we were on a type of roller coaster. it was really cool because if you looked left or right you would see someone and if you looked up or down you would see the sky or the floor.



That night we all went to dinner. Like the first dinner, we sat in an old cellar. I had meat and vegetables which was very good. Then we had dessert - a cheesecake. Since we were the last people in the restaurant they gave us some of the left over desserts - rice cake and raspberry cake. After we were all stuffed, we decided to go back to our cool hotel. The next day we were going to Przesmyl which is where Ania grew up.


Additional photos below
Photos: 73, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Licking the Wall Licking the Wall
Licking the Wall

Wieliczka Salt Mine
Wawel CastleWawel Castle
Wawel Castle

Dragon's Den
Salt CathedralSalt Cathedral
Salt Cathedral

Wieliczka Salt Mine


Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0293s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb