Europa 2013


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Lesser Poland » Kraków
August 12th 2013
Published: August 14th 2013
Edit Blog Post

KrakowKrakowKrakow

Wawel Castle
Just when I thought we had kissed and made up with Paris . . .

We arrived at Charles de Gaulle airport early as planned. Our taxi driver charged us an additional 18 Euro ($26 Australian dollars) on top of the taxi fare because we had 'reserved' the taxi and also for carrying luggage. Interestingly we had reserved another taxi when we went to Montmartre but no additional fee was charged on that occasion. We had also reserved taxis in Holland and Belgium without incurring an extra fee. Arguing the point wasn't going to get us anywhere so we let it go. No tip for this taxi driver though! Speaking of which 'tipping' is doing our head in a little bit but we are getting the hang of it. We don't want to be cheap (Clive) or over generous (Henny). We've had a few 'discussions' about what to tip. It's tricky!

We had heard a few negative stories about Easy Jet, a British based airline that flies throughout Europe but we found them extremely well organised so no issues there. Going though security was another story. I was wearing boots that just reach the ankle . . . had
KrakowKrakowKrakow

Wawel Castle courtyard.
to take them off and wear these silly little disposable socks. I was wearing a jacket . . . had to take that off. I was wearing a small scarf around my neck, more decorative than functional . . . had to take that off. At every airport we've been through I've been told to leave my jewellery on but noooooooo not in Paris . . . had to take it all off. The boots, jacket, scarf and jewellery all had to go though the X Ray. Pleased to report they did not find any explosives in any of these items. Did Clive have to remove any items of clothing? His shoes, his jacket? No of course not. Did Clive beep when he went through the X Ray? Yes of course he did! Just to make the experience even more memorable each and every one of the security staff had gotten out of bed on the wrong side of the bed that morning . . . clearly.

The flight to Krakow was fine. It was a small plane and we were packed in like sardines and had absolutely no leg room but it was just a short flight so
KrakowKrakowKrakow

Wawel Castle at night.
no problem. We saw a little of the Polish countryside on the taxi ride from the airport to our hotel. Everything is very green and lush but with the exception of the odd castle here first impressions were that homes were very old, small and simple. Our hotel is again lovely and ideally located just 500 metres from the Old Town. On the opposite side of the road to our hotel is the 14th Century Wawel Castle. It's like something out of Merlin, medieval and absolutely huge! Legend has it there once was a dragon . . . truely!

We took a quick walk around the immediate vicinity of the hotel to get our bearings. We found a supermarket so Clive was happy. He has this 'thing' for supermarkets. Quite the domestic. Initial impressions from our brief journey is that much is in a state of disrepair. Quite a culture shock after Paris. Definitely no excess here.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

KrakowKrakow
Krakow

Wawel Castle at night.
KrakowKrakow
Krakow

In house dining at the Sheraton Krakow. Fancy!


Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0651s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb