Second Leg


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Lesser Poland » Kraków
July 26th 2006
Published: July 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We finished our trip to Prague with a riverboat tour which nearly sent us both to sleep! A quick journey around the Jewish Quarter and then to the Museum of Communism (yes, they really do have a museum to communism, they also have museums to sex machines and medieval torture instruments which I wouldnt go in but Chris really did want to... more of that another time!)

Weve moved on to Krakow in Poland. The first train journey was fantastic, it was air conditioned, reserved seating, fast and thoroughly luxorious. The second train which we picked up from some out of the way station which didnt appear to have moved into the 20th century let alone the 21st century was a bloody nightmare! Now, you know I like my comfort and have been known to put up with some basics in my time well this was a test of all my patience more than teaching has tested me in 10 years! The train was so painfully slow Chris remarked how we were being overtaken by the flies outside the window in fact we both agreed that a small family of hamsters may have been able to run quicker and maybe even stop off for a nap and still beat us to Krakow!

On arrival the nice people in yellow tshirts (sounds like a cult) took us to our hostel. The city is really pretty in places and really cheap to drink and eat. We spent an evening drinking pints of beer and very large polish vodkas for about a tenner! I can see why EasyJet are bringing large parties of Englishmen here. The medieval square is stunning with loads of buskers to amuse use even cheeky little lads who couldnt breakdance very well were trying hard to entertain the crowds and demand money for the pleasure!

Later on today we are going to Auschwitz so dont expect too many words on that experience, already feeling emotional at the prospect.

Thanks for your messages peeps! V hot here (even more so in slow moving Polish trains) to amuse us we came up with songs that were appropriate for our journey and if you like, you can email us some of your suggestions (interactive holiday blog or what) some of ours were Homebound Train, Bon Jovi, Ticket to Ride, The Beatles and Tracks of My Tears, Smokey Robinson.

As a final note I must appologise to Chris for portraying him in a bad light! He is trying to speak to the locals in the language I however do not bother because I only feel I will say something totally offensive so I just smile sweetly and mime as much as possible always knew I should have been an actress.

blog soon!

xxxxx

Advertisement



26th July 2006

news from home !
Now sitting through a rather nice thunder storm , lightning and everything. Good though as its cleared the air , still been rather hot here. You know our lovely new jeep...... well paulas managed to drive it into a portacabin at work on monday !!!!! managed to move a 50ft cabin 4 " still at least shes ok. Forgot it was a manual and braked without taking it out of gear ooops. As for songs how about ' comfortably numb ' !! as im sure the seats aint that good on the train . time to go now . have fun . blogg soon Vince

Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0607s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb