Poland and beyond


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Lesser Poland » Auschwitz
July 27th 2006
Published: July 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Laughed out loud at your messages much to the shock of the local internet cafe owners. Vince, comfortably numb was an excellent suggestion and so true. Will have to think of some to do with your jeep 'I like driving in my car' or 'Baby you can drive my car' but dont let her watch the film 'Crash'! We are hoping to get an overnight train to Budapest tonight so any more suggestions would be great.

Yesterday we went to Auschwitz which was, to say the least, quite an experience. Stupidly I thought it would be quiet but it was so busy, but of course it is an international attraction. Attractions tend to be things like disneyland and this had no entertainment value through any stretch of the imagination. People were taking pictures of gas chambers and artifacts which we thought seemed disrespectful, but the exhibitions showed the SS photos of sending people to their death so I suppose photographs after the event is harmless. We had a guide whisk us round the first camp and then to Berkenau (Auschwitz II) which is the image we all associate with Auschwitz, the one with the wooden barracks and train tracks. We all know what happened there but the personal stories which were related during the tour were heartbreaking. Needless to say I went through several tissues in the course of the day. This had to be done, and would suggest everyone makes this 'pilgrimage' at some time in their life.

To more happier things - the trip there and back was a hell of a ride! We went through an organised tour which picked us up at our hotel. I was just glad we sat in the back of the minibus and couldn't see the oncoming traffic the driver was overtaking 4 to 5 cars, buses, lorries at a time coming up to bends in the road etc! I have decided I wasn't meant to travel!

Right off to book the next phase of the trip - hope this next train is better than the slow donkey of a ride we got last time - if not I will be home at the weekend.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0363s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb