A really nice city, in the south of Poland


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Lesser Poland » Kraków
July 10th 2012
Published: January 3rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Krakow is a nice city, with an impressive old architecture.

The city is not really big, so, you can cross it by walk. But if you want to see the entire city from the historical center to the other side of the river, you'll quickly take the tram to go to the train station from the old jewish quarter.

From the outside of the airport, you can take a bus which go to the main bus station. If you stay more than 1, 2 or 3 days, take a ticket for a week, it only cost around 10€, and if you're a student it's half price.

Like a lot of european city, Krakow is divided in 2 parts, the historical center, and the rest built time after time. You have a lot of entry to go into the historical center, but there is one bigger than the other, and in front of a barbican.

Once inside the historical center, you first have to pass into store streets, with a lot of restaurants or gift shop.

Avoid them to prefere the gift shop in town, way cheaper! Or even the small shop on the main market square. They sell the same things for half price.

After this, you arrive in the main market square, the biggest in Europe! You have the cloth hall with the town hall tower, a really old church from the 10th century, and st Marys Basilica.

This part of the town is really lively, in summer some people are acting, you can have a ride on horse.

Once you go out the historical center, you arrive on a huge place where you can see the Wawel castle. You can go up, and you have a wonderful view on the river! There are ruins, and some part of the castle still in renovation.

There is the jewish quarter, it's the only place of the city where we saw guides, they lead you through unknow places, and explain you things which are not on the tour guide. It's really interesting and they do it for free, the most are student. Don't hesitate, it's gorgeous!

This jewish quarter is in the center of the town, but you have another jewish quarter on the other side of the river. It was the place where Nazis gather jews during WWII, and forced them to sit on chairs. They chose people and shot them. A "memorial" has been built to remember this. There is a lot of candles and rocks on its.

At around 3kms from the center, you have the concentration camp Plaszow. But it only remains few ruins and a memorial. Nazis destroyed everything before the Americans came. It can be really stressful if you go there by night, there is nobody and it's in the forest, with old electric fence.

If you want to eat local foods, you can go in a restaurant in the city, but not in the historical center (it's for tourist, so it's mexican, french, italian, etc...food), it's between 10 and 15€.

If you're like me, a student, or you don't really have money, you can go in a mall, you'll find some cheap restaurants where you pay the weight of your plate. It's around 3€/kg, it's really cheap, and they have a lot of excellent local food !

While on the subject of prices, about the hotels, once again if you don't really have money, you can have a double room at 15mn from the center by tram, for between 100 and 150€ a week, it's really cheap.

If you want to be right in the center, it will be more than 250€ a week.

We went there in summer, and the temperature was more than 40degrees.

Around Krakow, you can go to Auschwitz, Wieliczka, or a famous christian sanctuary. Polish are really christian, you'll find a lot of churches everywhere in Poland. Krakow is the home of the previous pope Jean-Paul II.

We gave you some advice about the town and prices there. I hope you enjoy our article, and that it will give you the desire to go there!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0313s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb