Auschitwz, the sadly most famous concentration camp


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Greater Poland » Oswiecim
July 9th 2012
Published: January 3rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

From Krakow to Auschwitz


Auschwitz, the sadly most famous concentration camp. It's located around 1h from Krakow by bus, and it cost around 8€ for a return.

When you arrive there, it look likes a normal place, the entry is even nice. You just arrive, and you already have frustrations...First, you have to let your bag at the entrance and it cost 2€...Secondly, the toilets are paying...

For a tragic place, preserve to remember, pay for the entry, let your bag, and go to the toilets, it's really incredible...

The entry cost 10€, or 7€ if you're student or under 25. It's for the visit with a guide who speak the language you chose, for the 2 camps, Auschwitz and Birkenau, and the journey by bus between the 2 camps. The visits last around 4hours, and it's not recommended to children under 14 (certain place might be schocking...)

When you finaly enter the first camp, Auschwitz, it's small. Most of the barracks has been rebuilt in museum with a lot of photos and objects (like suitcase, doll, pans, etc...), or even...hair... you can't photograph this. From the outside, it seems like a nice quarter, but when you think to this place 60 years ago, it's freaking.

There is an old crematorium, you can enter in, and see the basement where they were gather; and nazis dropped cyanide inside. On the other side, corpses were burn.

Finally, the old house of the director's camp, who were hung there by americans.

Then, we go to the second camp, called Birkenau, it's way bigger than Auschwitz, but most of the barracks has been destroyed, and even the 4 crematoriums.

It only remains several barracks a little renovate where you can see were they slept and lived. There were toilets barracks, and they had to go there only 2 times a day, and at precisely hours, there was no waters...

At the end of the camp, there is a memorial with slabs in different language to remember what happened here.

Next to this slabs, there is some kind of puddle, in fact it's ashes...With some kind of gravestone.



Visit Auschwitz, it's something everyone can, and must do. You don't have to be affraid of the morbid places there, but rather learn what happened there, remember, and understand to never do it again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0329s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb