The Warmth of Krakow


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Lesser Poland » Kraków
June 14th 2008
Published: June 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Not half short on horsesNot half short on horsesNot half short on horses

Plenty of horses to go around..some of the MOST beautiful carriages i'v ever seen also..it was like being in some sort of fairytale..
Well a lovely peaceful train ride from warsaw and we finally made it to Krakow...It was a short enough journey during which we were given free tea/coffee and even some chocolate...How pleasent yes???well i was quite simply delighted with it all and was already feeling to warmth of krakow which had been absent the past few days...

We Managed to find the Hostel easily enough!But even though already we noticed a SLIGHT change in the atmosphere it didn't take from the manic driving that is obviously present THROUGH OUT Poland...We weren't moments off the tram in Krakow when right in front of us we saw a car flying at an UNREASONABLE speed through a cross roads and a red light, i was shocked enough by this little event and THEN i see the car go straight into another car trying to change lanes...What was even more bizzare was the fact NO ONE got out to change insurance or to investigate the damage done to the car..ha ha..both cars just teried to get back into there lanes and everything went back to normal..ok at home...the road would of been closed off within seconds and war would of broke out...so ya..dangerous but
STATUE???you mean there's a statue beneath all those people??STATUE???you mean there's a statue beneath all those people??STATUE???you mean there's a statue beneath all those people??

I can't get over the amount of people here...you can barely see the statue..
altogether quite fast and efficient ya could say..ha ha..

The people working at this hostel called decco hostel were pretty helpful...the People there even held a massive barbeque that night in the back garden free of charge for everyone while we watched the Poland match on a huge screen....Though they lost it was still a crazy enough night...

The next day we tried a bit of sight seeing..once we made it to the old square everything really was within a few short steps...the Church was some what strange as the procedure for taking photos was odd..Pinned up everywhere were numerous posters informing us that we couldn't talke photos..However men in suits walked around the place selling stickers to people who wished to take photos...my god..i really have seen it all...

Horse drawn carriages were plentiful as always and it really was your stereotypical european tourist destination...The beer here was cheap enough and some of the tastiest we've had yet, well in line with the german selection now..(lets be fair here...)

In the hostel intself we met some hilarious characters..It's funny..because back home i really wouldn't of watched a whole lot of these euro 2008 matches but
FREE BEERFREE BEERFREE BEER

If only he looked to his right..if only..
here it's what brings the backpackers...In any common room from 8 in the evening anywhere here in europe you can be sure to find other travellers like ourselves follwing the match that night and passing stories of their trip so far...

On the last day we went out to see Auswitz, the concentration camp...We went on a tour because we were told it was the best way to get as much out of the day as was possible...On the hour and fifteen minute drive out there we were shown a short movie telling us the history of the place...I mean i've read and seen a lot about this during my year of studying history in college but nothing hit me as hard as this movie did...It was possibly the most graphic and detailed account of the procedures i've ever come across..Maybe the blow was that much bigger because we all knew we were about to step into the very place all that took place..i don't know...Once we got there though i realised it was going to be one of those moving experiences i wasn't going to forget all too quickly...And i wasn't far wrong....Taking pictures seemed so wrong...It was the kind place one has to go to once in your life and take it all in ...It's like the quide described it at the end of the tour, 'we must take from these horrific events what we can in order to prevent such a thing from happening again..."

We went left krakow somewhat tired and down after the tour on the last day but moved all the same...


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Hmmm..Hmmm..
Hmmm..

Bit of a scary sight to turn around from taking a picture to find them running around you...scary indeed..
Nuns??Angels??Just random statues??Nuns??Angels??Just random statues??
Nuns??Angels??Just random statues??

What do you think they are??
Pricey ChurchPricey Church
Pricey Church

This is the Church that was nabbing anyone that took pictures and making them pay for the use of their camera...catholic church taking advantage of us yet again i seee..well not me..i took NO PICTURES..but then regretted it later when i realised it was one of the most beautiful churches in the world..oh well..
Royal CastleRoyal Castle
Royal Castle

from the left..
Royal CastleRoyal Castle
Royal Castle

From within...
Royal CastleRoyal Castle
Royal Castle

from the right..
Say your prayers Davis..Say your prayers Davis..
Say your prayers Davis..

James makes a lil offertory in the hope that God will rid him of this aching pain that is Brigid..ha ha.,,


19th June 2008

Hosteling in Krakow
I liked your article. It was very informative. Thanks for sharing the photos and information on Krakow. I would like to visit Warsaw and Krakow. I hear that both are beautiful cities.
20th June 2008

No worries..
No problem...It's good to see others are taking some pointers from these blogs...if ya ever manage to make it to Poland, and have to choose one city though..I'd pick krakow over Warsaw any day...

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb