Poland and Germany: Tributes and Farewells


Advertisement
Europe » Poland » Lesser Poland » Kraków
October 15th 2006
Published: January 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hello Everyone! Three weeks left in Europe, one more week of traveling around with Alan, and two more weeks of doing absolutely nothing in Berlin but relaxing. In the one week left of touring we decided to squeeze in a few days in Krakow, a few days in Berlin (to give Alan a proper city tour), a couple nights in Heidelberg to visit a college friend of Alan’s, before ending back in Munich on th... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

The Cathedral of SaltThe Cathedral of Salt
The Cathedral of Salt

It was hard to capture in a picture, but this room was entirely carved out of rock salt!
Neue WacheNeue Wache
Neue Wache

Memorial to the victims of Fascism and Militarism
The TV TowerThe TV Tower
The TV Tower

Still has some pink spots left over from the World Cup decorations.
Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial ChurchKaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church
Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church

This church was bombed in WWII, but instead of rebuilding or tearing down, they left it as a memorial.
Checkpoint CharlieCheckpoint Charlie
Checkpoint Charlie

Now quite the tourist attraction, Checkpoint Charlie was a crossing point between East and West Germany during the Cold War.
You never know what you might find in Berlin!You never know what you might find in Berlin!
You never know what you might find in Berlin!

Walking through a cemetery, we ended up in a back corner and found a pile of headstones that where removed from the grave site due to being old and damaged. In the background is a section of the Berlin Wall.
I Love Technology!I Love Technology!
I Love Technology!

Alan in computer heaven (hence his hands in keyboard mode). The graffiti covered plaque is on the house where the first computer was constructed.
Heidelberg CastleHeidelberg Castle
Heidelberg Castle

Well, just a small section of an older wall, but the blue sky was beautiful!
A beer festival?  Why not! A beer festival?  Why not!
A beer festival? Why not!

Hanging with Christine and her boyfriend Chris in Heidelberg.
Andy Warhol...you got nothing on the photo skills of Heather Jean!Andy Warhol...you got nothing on the photo skills of Heather Jean!
Andy Warhol...you got nothing on the photo skills of Heather Jean!

Ben getting creative at the Museum of Contemporary Art.
And then the camera quit working...And then the camera quit working...
And then the camera quit working...

First time in Potsdam the battery died, second time there the camera quit working. We are sure the town is cursed!
New camera = new features!New camera = new features!
New camera = new features!

Playing with the camera's widescreen mode in the underground of Berlin.



17th January 2007

Yea!!
Wow it looks like lots of fun!! Well i'm not sure how to email you guys right now but I just got engaged and I'm getting married on March 9th if you'll be in town I'd love to have you both there!! Ok well be safe and I love you both!!
17th January 2007

Amazing... sobering... and fun...
Amazing and sobering history in Berlin. Great photos - the camera is such an imortant part of traveling... especially for us that are doing it vicariously through you. Thanks for the memories. Sounds like "we're" having fun in spite of the inconveniences that happen along the way. Love you!
17th January 2007

Morgan's getting married!
First: cool blog. Second: let me know if you think you're going to make the wedding and want Fred and I to get a hotel room with two beds.
17th January 2007

Hey guys good to hear from you again. Amazing photos. Great shot of the barbwire from Auschwitz very strong. Keep in touch, have safe travels.
17th January 2007

Hurry home!!!!!!
28th March 2008

Heart Breaking
The disgrace the people went through... When will it end
8th March 2009

very interesting
I dont know you guys but im doing a report in school on the holocaust and i just want to tell you that i got some good informatoin from this site!

Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 27; qc: 111; dbt: 0.0782s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb