Kraków, and the Wieliczka Underground Saltmine Museum


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Greater Poland
April 28th 2016
Published: April 28th 2016
Edit Blog Post

We think our trip needs to be re-named, Jill and Shane's Underground Tour of Europe! We arrived to a bitterly cold, rainy Krakow, and decided an indoor activity was our only option. So we signed up for a tour of an underground salt-mine. Now if that fills you with dread, don't panic....I was similarly sceptical! BUT.........we spent three hours underground in one of the most intriguing and beautiful places we've ever experienced. If you travel nowhere else on this earth in your life-time, come to Krakow, and visit this UNESCO World Heritage Site. It has earned this status for good reason.......

The salt-miners of Kraków, while enduring centuries of hardship, created one of the most unique places in the world. We descended into the mine via hundreds of wooden steps, with our delightful young Polish guide, who had a lovely quirky sense of humour. At each level, as we travelled through tunnel after tunnel, we witnessed what thousands of years of salt-mining has created. At 110 metres down we saw how the mining was undertaken, and how huge timber structures supported each level of excavation. Often these huge logs and beams were hundreds of years old, preserved by the salt of the mines. Displays of miners working in dreadful conditions were fascinating, as too was learning how they used horses to help them. Once the poor animals were lowered kicking and screaming into the mines they were doomed to a life underground, eventually going blind. But they were essential for helping the miners haul huge blocks of the valuable salt from the mine to the surface, using intricate systems of pulleys. Of course, the mining was all done by hand, using picks and chisels, and I'm not sure the life expectancy for a miner was that long. Sounds a tad boring up until now I know........BUT, wait, there's more.......in order to make their wretched lives bearable, the miners created sculptures from the rocks.

And as we continued to walk down further into the mine, the most stunning underground statues, all hewn from the salt rock, were at every turn in the tunnels. All crafted by the miners...un-trained artists. Their stunning works of art adorned walls and the caves created by the mining process, but the ultimate testimony to their creativity is the Cathedral. At 120 metres underground its beauty takes your breath away. Chandeliers, crafted from salt crystals hang
Horses in the salt-mines.Horses in the salt-mines.Horses in the salt-mines.

What an awful existence for these poor creatures.
from the ceilings, the floor tiles are black salt blocks, and religious images carved from salt stone adorn the walls. It is the most beautiful place I have ever had the privilege stand in....and its Catholic and underground!! Blimey..... We chatted to our young guide about the spirituality of the place. He explained how all the miners were very religious, and expressed their faith in this way. However, he felt he didn't fit into modern Poland...he was a young man, with slightly Buddhist leanings, a little lost, so we encouraged him to travel!!! A great way to 'find yourself', even if it isn't until you're in your almost sixties!! ....

So, we're off to visit Auscwitzh today. And no doubt we will learn plenty more about the misery inflicted upon others. But this time we are thinking it will be above ground, rather than in caves or tunnels. However this trip has been full of surprises so far, and we will no doubt be confron as well as amazed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

The Last SupperThe Last Supper
The Last Supper

Carved from salt-stone, this is an exceptionally beautiful carving.
Carpenters constructed massive support structures.Carpenters constructed massive support structures.
Carpenters constructed massive support structures.

The chandelier in this photo weighs 700 kilograms!


28th April 2016

Memories of Krakow
Yes we remember those many many steps - at least they were all downhill!!! Yes it is an amazing salt mine. Shane you would love the job of getting rid of the methane!!! We can also recommend the Golf cart tours of the city - Jewish area with the Square of chairs and also Schindler’s Factory. Lucy's blog is https://lucybroadbent.wordpress.com/2014/05/29/krakow-friday-23-may/ Enjoy, or should that be experience, Auschwitz. Rick
28th April 2016

Loving the blog!
Hi Jill and Shane, it's great to be able to follow your trip. Good on you for flying business class :-) We also visited the salt mine and found it fascinating. Hope you're keeping warm. Xx
28th April 2016

Loving the blog!
Hi Jill and Shane, it's great to be able to follow your trip. Good on you for flying business class :-) We also visited the salt mine and found it fascinating. Hope you're keeping warm. Xx

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb