Dreary Molde


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway
June 9th 2013
Published: June 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 62.7405, 7.16406

We cant help but feel disappointed about finally getting bad luck with the weather. When we woke today, it was pelting down with rain, and the area around Molde was shrouded in mist. What would have been stunning with blue skies and bright sunshine wasn't to be. Our tour today was of the Great Atlantic Road. Our first stop, a lookout over Molde, nearly totally blocked by fog. You could see a pretty string of islands and much of the town, but none of the mountains surrounding the area. On then to the Atlantic Road. It wasn't as grand as Id hoped. 8km long, a thin road over the water with one large curved bridge. The fog didn't help but we got some good photos of the area, and some weird giant black slugs! Onwards to the fishing town called Bud for lunch. Lunch was a traditional Norwegian pancake at a local restaurant. I have no idea what it was filled with, some white paste, but it was awesome. The rest of the tour in Bud involved some time at a fort and World War 2 bunker overlooking the town. Our local guide Vivian told us many interesting and amusing stories of how she had used the bunker as a childhood playground before it was recently restored. She also told of how her grandfather had been forced to help build the bunker by the Nazis during the war.We returned to Molde for a drive around the town before getting out on foot to explore the town. Of course someone again complained they would not be back in time for lunch! Unfortunately being a Sunday, nearly everything was closed. We found a wifi spot and sat in the street to use the internet. A local man joked we looked like buskers and suggested we should use our beanies to gather some coins. We were back aboard around 3, for lunch. We've avoided buying anything in Norway where it can be helped. We were so tired we even napped for a couple hours before gym and dinner. We have two more stops in Norway before heading back to Southampton. Tomorrow we will hike to a glacier in Olden. The forecast is mostly sunny.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Town of BudTown of Bud
Town of Bud

Fishing Village


Tot: 0.272s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.056s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb