Have you ever tried to navigate Chicago with a map of NYC?


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway
August 16th 2008
Published: September 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Snow in August?Snow in August?Snow in August?

I guess that's why that had the Olympics here.
Overnight Night Trains - On this trip and to date in my blog, I've taken 2 "overnights", 9 since I'm writing this (I am behind), and probably another 30 or so in previous travels. On our overnight train from Stockholm to Oslo we had a cabin worth writing home about. It was spacious, wide beds, a sink, toliet, even a shower. Dinner and breakfast included, and all that for only 50 Euro.

Oslo - I do not want to offend anyone, but we didn't read or hear many reasons for visiting Oslo. Almost out of guilt we walked from the train station to the tourist office, found out it was closed, and and then like vindicated prisoners we escaped to Lilehammer - so we thought...

Hammer vs. Lilehammer - Maria and I have an embarassing little story we thought we share with everyone, not sure why, but here it goes: After visiting the Munich Olympic grounds we thought we might as well check out Lilehammer while in Norway. So we're headed north and the stop said Hammer and there was a mention of Olympic something or other so we thought it was it (these trains usually don't stop but for 30 seconds or so). With a map of LILEhamer in hand we set out to find the main grounds of the Olympic village. Amazingly we did find "an" olympic site in Hammer with a map of LILEhammer and then it wasn't for another hour that we realized Hammer is not the same as Lilehammer. Shesh.... Anyways, go ahead bring on the wise cracks, we made it to Lilehammer, even found snow, and the pictures are there as proof.

A night in the Airport - We were only set to spend one day in Norway and then fly from from Oslo to Dubrovnik. The flight was at 6AM and we had to be there by 4AM for check-in. It hardly made sense to get a room, wake up at 2:30 and leave at 3AM to get to the airport on time so we improvized. We found a good bar, closed it, went to the airport, found an empty restaurant and took a nap for a few hours and hooped our flight. Not the most pleasant honeymoon experience, but it took us somewhere warm and that made it worth it.

Why does the same thing cost different? - It was a 4 hour flight from Oslo to Dubrovnik and it cost us $60 per person. We spent $500 a person to fly 4 hours from Moscow to Barnaul. What gives?

Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0252s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb