Snowkiteing at Finse "the roof of Norway"


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Western Norway
April 10th 2010
Published: April 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Finse 164 secs

1 additional video(s) currently being processed
FinseFinseFinse

Børre's kiteing the majestic Hardangervidda with Hardangerjøkulen in the background (the 6'th biggest glacier on the norwegian mainland, with it's highest point of 1863m)
Snowkiteing at Finse, the roof of Norway, is the perfekt way to celebrate my 37'th birthday. Marianne, got me the perfect gift knowing my passion for kiteing, mountains and outdoor adrenaline activity in general..thanks a lot Marianne!! I LOVE YOU!

Early morning and extremly tired, we (Børre,Marianne & Samoa) jumped on the train, heading for Hardangervidda and Finse. It's a must to say we love train travel, so the five hours passed by pretty fast.

Approaching Finse, the signature of Hardangervidda appares; majestic and dramatic mountains is rising up from the platau, the big glacier of Hardangerjøkulen is seen in the distanse, and the sudden lack of trees is making us realize we're closing up to our final destination,jippi.

Jumping off the train, I got a little bit nostalgic; I have actually lived in Finse some 18 years ago, actually 6km more remote than Finse village, working with & in the 10,3km train tunnel for 1,5 years. Altough I tend to remember the good times, it's a must to say it was some REALLLLY crappy days when the winterstorms hit the area, wich was quite often..

The only hotel at Finse, Finse 1222 is our home for
FinseFinseFinse

Børre's having a break with his kite in Neutral zone..
a couple of days, expensive but what the hell. The hotel has a really warm feeling and serves crazy-good food!
There is a cheaper option; Finsehytta, a norwegien big mountain hut with dorm beds and stuff.
Apartment 1222 is also an option for longer stay with apartments for rent..

The whole stay I was kiteing all the time, enjoing the great kite-conditions, while Marianne and Samoa relaxed enjoing the calm atmosphere, aswell as filming me, nice!!

Even though the snow was little bit to wet and the clody sky made it hard to see the bumps and contraste, the 6-8 m/s wind made it the perfekt power for enjoing the great adrenaline sport of snow-kiteing, Love it!!!

There is one thing we know for sure; we're definitely coming back next year!!


Visit: www.finse.com


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

FinseFinse
Finse

Samoa
FinseFinse
Finse

Finse and Hardangerjøkulen in the background
Train: Oslo - FinseTrain: Oslo - Finse
Train: Oslo - Finse

Pappelaps & Samoa
Train: Oslo - FinseTrain: Oslo - Finse
Train: Oslo - Finse

Ski city of Geilo
Train: Oslo - FinseTrain: Oslo - Finse
Train: Oslo - Finse

The roof of Norway, Hardangervidda..Closing in to Finse
FinseFinse
Finse

Finse train station
FinseFinse
Finse

Finse train station 1222m and "center" of the Finse area
FinseFinse
Finse

Mountain hotel, Finse 1222.
FinseFinse
Finse

Børre is preparing his kite ready to fly..
FinseFinse
Finse

Life is freaken beautiful!!
FinseFinse
Finse

Børre's kiteing
FinseFinse
Finse

Børre's kiteing
FinseFinse
Finse

Marianne & Samoa
FinseFinse
Finse

Finse train station
FinseFinse
Finse

Finse 1222
FinseFinse
Finse

Finse 1222
FinseFinse
Finse

The tunnel Børre was working on some 18 years ago..He actually lived here for 1,5 years..
FinseFinse
Finse

The small ski lift of Finse
FinseFinse
Finse

Samoa
FinseFinse
Finse

Breakfast time
FinseFinse
Finse

and Børre's kiteing again..
FinseFinse
Finse

Børre's kiteing
FinseFinse
Finse

Finsehytta,a mountain"hut" for budget travellers


Tot: 0.293s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 17; qc: 107; dbt: 0.201s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb