Sogndal to Bergen via Flam Railway


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Western Norway » Flåm
July 21st 2014
Published: July 21st 2014
Edit Blog Post

SognefjordSognefjordSognefjord

The longest and deepest of all the Norwegian Fjords.
After a buffet breakfast that included Swedish pancakes we boarded our coach at precisely 7:55. This was to be a travel day and oh what a day. This was also tunnel day as we would travel through several tunnels through the mountains, one as long as 16 miles. We arrived in Gudvangen where we boarded our first ferry for a 10 minute ride and then drove to a quaint little town of Laerdal. We took a short 10 minute walk through this charming town and met our driver, Jan, at the other end. We had to be at our next ferry terminal at 10:30 so with just enough time to spare we were on our way.



We were the first in line so we booked it up to the top deck. Once again, we were told how lucky we were because of the weather because most people don’t get to see what we are seeing. We enjoyed a leisurely cruise on the breathtaking waters of the Sognefjord, the longest and deepest of all the Norwegian Fjords. We passed small villages set at the base of the mountains and some homes high on the cliffs. During this time we
As seen from our ferry.As seen from our ferry.As seen from our ferry.

Are those faces of trolls I see.
talked with other passengers who shared their traveling tales. One group of people were going to the Arctic Circle after leaving here. Everyone we meet has a traveling story to tell, many of them taking at least 2 trips a year. We are very interested in their stories and the information given about the best places to visit. Definitely gave us some ideas.



At 12:45 we pulled into the Ferry Terminal and drove to the town of Flam where we would catch the Flam Railway for a mountain train ride into Norway’s high glacial regions We viewed pastures, waterfalls and snow-clad peaks, all nestled beautifully into the surrounding mountain side. We ascended 3000 feet within 12 miles for one of the most scenic views of Norway. I think the highlight for me was a stop at a waterfall. It was magnificent and as I watched the cascading waters, the music started to play and on a closure look, there was a women at the top of the waterfall doing an interpretive dance and then she would disappear only to have another woman appear in a different location. It was breathtaking and I was sorry to leave. It was one of the most beautiful waterfalls that I had ever seen. On the return trip down the mountain, we stopped there again, but for a shorter amount of time. It was awesome.



Once back in Flam, we again boarded our bus for the 2.5 hour drive to Bergen where we would stay the next 2 nights. Bergen is Norway’s 2nd largest city. Many residents of this 11th century city still earn their livelihoods from the sea.



Our hotel room is one of the most spacious with enough room to maneuver around unlike some of the previous ones. The internet is good and we are centrally located. We got here about 7:00 p.m. so Sharyn and I set out to find a restaurant for dinner and settled for the Harbour Café. We are hoping to get some recommendations tomorrow from our fellow travelers. We then listened to some street musicians by the wharf before going back to our room about 10:00, but seemed more like 8:0 because the sun hadn’t set yet.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Can you see her?Can you see her?
Can you see her?

She is at the base of the waterfall.


21st July 2014
Waterfall as seen during Flam Railway ride.

Waterfall
Wow, beautiful and powerful.
23rd July 2014

Great and Mighty Bergen
The waterfalls were magnificent. Even the High Falls in Northern Minnesota on the Canadian Border couldn't match yours. I also loved those trolls hidden yet transparent in the mountains. Sounds like you are listening and learning a lot from your fellow travelers. The folks heading to the Artic Circle seem quite similar to Deb and Greg with their travels. Looking forward to your next adventures. Papa

Tot: 0.472s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0764s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb