ALESUND


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Western Norway » Ålesund
August 10th 2011
Published: August 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We docked at this charming town at 8:00 am and the sky was overcast. SURPRISE! I had a leisurely morning, read a bit, watched a movie, had a late breakfast and headed out just after the downpour. My tour was a combination of land and water.
We boarded a bus and toured the city. It is picturesque but it is still a working town. On the early morning of January 23, 1904 in the middle of a raging gale there was a terrible fire and aver 10,000 people lost their homes. Practically the entire town was burned to the ground in the middle of the night with only a few minutes notice. Germany immediately sent four ships full of provisions and that saved hundreds of lives. The town was rebuilt in the Art Nouveau style and many of the building have been preserved. We drove to the top of Aksia a mountain right outside town that offered stunning view of the city.
We learned about the history, economy and culture of the town and then boarded a boat and sailed up the Hjorundfjord. Although there were two buses of tourists the boat wasn’t crowded. On the way up the fjord I sat inside listening to the commentary and enjoying a cup of tea. Later I west out on deck and the sun started peaking out from between the clouds. I found a seat on a life raft cabinet right next to a hot air blower. Cozy and warm was I.
The mountains were steep and scarred with the effects of avalanches. Hundreds happen every winter here and the scars are very visible. Some of the crevasses still had snow from the avalanche activity and waterfalls were abundant. The mountaintops were shrouded in clouds and tiny settlements dotted the shoreline. There are fish farms here and small farms of animals like goats. According to our guide the strawberries grown here are very, very sweet. Also there are many cabins where tourists stay to hike and fish.
It was a very pleasant afternoon.
We are docked next to the Ryndam. On the way back to town I got a good shot of the two ships bow to stern. The Ryndam left first and the ships exchanged whistles. I love that sound.
Enjoyed a quiet evening. Read until dinner, left before desert and went to be early. I have a long day touring tomorrow and must be up by 6:00 am.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0648s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb