In search of Blue Ice - Norway 2014


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Eastern Norway
July 17th 2013
Published: July 20th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day ONe


Blue Ice- yes that is what Jeff wanted to see when we talked about our trip to Norway. I had been planning the pretty standard trip (norway in a nutshell - as they call it) and then out of nowhere came the Blue Ice request. "Glaciers?" you want to see ice? open the freezer". I vaguely remember climbing a glacier just outside of Denver in the early 70's, way before anyone was talking global warming. All I could remember thinking was - OK a big slab of Ice.. next...

Glaciers, wow - a game changer.. so I redirected my thinking, canceled all of our bookings and went back to the drawing board. Land in Oslo- thrilled to be alive, buy coffee at starbucks located in the airport, car gets upgraded with seat warmers and sun roof. Ipod plugged in and off we go for a seven hour drive to Beste Bakken a wonderful bed and breakfast located somewhere near a GLACIER.

Now, you have to remember that in the Norwegian summer the sun never sets (well maybe for an hour or two) so for us two workaholics we are in trip heaven!! We could drive until 11 in the
Starbucks in OsloStarbucks in OsloStarbucks in Oslo

oh coffee pleaseeee
evening and still see where we are going. All planned and ready to go... till we started entering the Sognefjellet mountain pas which is highest mountain pass in northern Europe (route 55 -Jotunheimen) and literally found ourselves driving in the moon zone.

Till then we had been driving for about six hours feeling like we were driving in a picture postcard. We couldn't stop snapping our camera and little did we know that as we slowly made our way up route 55 things would change very quickly. The weather changed from bright and cheery to dark and ominous - fog started filling the void and very quickly the clothing I had been wearing in the middle east seemed a little skimpy.

The topography went from forest to marsh, melting snow turned into ravenous waterfalls, peaks of mountains showing their swords edge, glaciers laden with red dust and two lone ranger motorcyclists moving ahead of us. I am sure they were angels helping us out of hell. The combination of fog, wind, snow and water gushing from all sides of the road made us feel insignificant and made me think we were being punished for intruding.

I felt my heart pounding as we continued down the 10% grade and hairpin turns just managing to see the red lights of the motorcycles ahead - laughing and crying out of sheer fear till once again the clouds gave way slowly fading and presenting us with the most beautiful valley lush green and crystal clear lakes... Heaven is upon us.

{vimeo==}


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

GushingGushing
Gushing

I kept calling them water fountains. water gushing from all sides of the roads.

Beste BakkenBeste Bakken
Beste Bakken

off the track but worth every second



21st July 2013

OMG !!!!!
Loved your description...sound like heaven. view from your room gorgeous !! have a great time !!
21st July 2013

Shavua Tov!!
You probably made havdala at 3am.....!!! Keep writing - it's the best annual summer read !!! ENJOY!
21st July 2013

מדהים
תשמרי לי את כל המסלול והכתובות זה נראה מדהים111 תהנו שם אוהבת דרורית
21st July 2013

You work hard and vacation hard. I believe it\'s who you are. Being brave is a part of it, too. Pictures look like a traditional Brenda & Jeff trip, breathtaking views,superlative car and lodging, good coffee and all around enjoyment. Only time you probably rest, is on Shabbat. Keep having an exciting & satisfying time together. Love from me...

Tot: 0.452s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 23; qc: 101; dbt: 0.101s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb