#22--Amsterdam


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands
August 6th 2007
Published: July 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Gay Pride- AmsterdamGay Pride- AmsterdamGay Pride- Amsterdam

Drag Queen on the Canals
8/3/07-8/6/07

Amsterdam has a variety of flavors, depending on the tastes of the traveler. Most of Amsterdam is peaceful, compact, and comfortable. The buildings are a lot like San Francisco--tall and close together, but located on dutch canals. It is possible to travel from one end of the city to the other in less than one-hour.

We had visions of our hotel in the midst of all this charm, perhaps close to an outdoor cafe overlooking a canal or plaza...Instead, we found our lodging smack dab in the middle of the red light district, unable to escape the sex shops, prostitutes, pickpockets or space cake cafes. It is a place I generally feel unsafe and would prefer to sightsee in minimal moderation.

Nonetheless, we adjusted, added extra luggage locks to our bags and ventured into the city. Highlights of Amsterdam were visiting the Anne Frank House and the floating tulip market, and sitting pond-side under a shady tree or sunny banch at Vondelpark. The nightlife in Amsterdam is either rowdy drunk or marijuana mellow. The dance clubs, which I prefer, started out fun, but turned into a place that could better be enjoyed with a loved one or
More floatsMore floatsMore floats

Gay Pride Amsterdam
by your uncommitted, single self. Having neither, It was difficult to find a middle ground and made me a bit homesick.

It turns out Amsterdam was celebrating gay pride during our stay. There is something special about celebrating who you are in the same place that once took people who were being who they were, placed a pink triangle on their jackets and murdered them in concentration camps. It was amazing to me to see the ENTIRE city come out to celebrate freedom and individuality while decorated, base-thumping boats floated on the same canal that once hid Anne Frank and her family. There were ten times as many straights as there were gays, and everyone just enjoyed everyone. It was so simple.It is too bad I must leave America, home of the free, to find freedom.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.212s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0528s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb