Zaanse Schans


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands
September 22nd 2009
Published: September 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today we went to Zaanse Schans.

Zaanse Schans is the home of windmills. It once had as many as 700! We found out that there are lots of different sorts of windmills eg: mustard, oil, saw and water. Today we decided to go to the saw mill. In this mill the wind powers lots of different gears which move the saw up and down and the log across. It could take up to one hour to saw through one log, depending on the size of the log and the speed of the wind. The mill that we went in was very new as the first original one was bombed in the war in 1942. The one that we went in had only got built in 2007.

Zaanse Schans also has a lot of museums and souvenir shops. It had a kaas*, clog and bakery museum. The kaas* museum was great. It had heaps of diferent types of kaas* including this pesto kaas* that was green and looked disgusting that we could taste. As well as that we could also taste chocolate and stroop waffels (biscuity waffels with caramel inside). We also went to the clog museum. At the clog museum there were thousands of clogs. There was also a T.V. screen showing you how they made them.

By Tom

*cheese


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.208s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0563s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb